Where to add washer p-trap and standpipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Holland

Reaction score
Hello, long time lurker, first time poster. Here is yet another of my "This will be easy" DIY projects that turned into a headscratcher.

I removed an unused stand up shower and want to convert the space for laundry. We're getting an all-in-one washer/dryer that is ventless, I just need to set up the water hookups and standpipe drain for the washer/dryer. Thought it was going to be easy to tie into the sink plumbing, but I'm not seeing how I could fit a p-trap in there. Putting a drain in the living room wall would be difficult because the wall studs and floor joists don't align and take up most available space, plus it wouldn't be ideal as a noise concern. Plumbing in the mudroom wall would be difficult because of all the floor joists in the way and then how to vent? So, sink wall still seems like best placement, but how to fit it all in there?

My understanding is that trying to utilize the existing shower p-trap under the subfloor isn't to code for the washing machine. Would you keep the floor drain as a safe guard against future flood damage? Or get rid of it because there would be a risk for the trap drying out?

FWIW- the machine we've purchased has many reviews stating the lower the drain, the better it dries clothes. Something about the condenser needing gravity assist to perform best. So, I wouldn't want the stand pipe very high up.

Thanks for any insight!
-Holland

Laundry Plumbing.jpg
sink wall.jpg
Underneath shower.jpg

Holland

Reaction score
Bump
... So, does this mean it's not just me thinking this is tricky? I was hoping a person more experienced with plumbing would look at this and go "oh, this is easy!" :confused:

Reach4

Reaction score
Bump
... So, does this mean it's not just me thinking this is tricky? I was hoping a person more experienced with plumbing would look at this and go "oh, this is easy!" :confused:
Following your questions is not so easy. Are you asking these things, or care to clarify?
  1. how do I best build a stand pipe into the wall called mud room wall?
  2. What should I do with the existing shower drain plumbing -- eliminate the drain, or turn it into a floor drain?
FWIW- the machine we've purchased has many reviews stating the lower the drain, the better it dries clothes. Something about the condenser needing gravity assist to perform best. So, I wouldn't want the stand pipe very high up.
That is an unusual machine.

I am not a plumber.

Holland

Reaction score
Following your questions is not so easy. Are you asking these things, or care to clarify?
  1. how do I best build a stand pipe into the wall called mud room wall?
  2. What should I do with the existing shower drain plumbing -- eliminate the drain, or turn it into a floor drain?

That is an unusual machine.

I am not a plumber.

My question is, given what I have uncovered in removing the shower, where is the best place to build a stand pipe that ties into existing plumbing?

Follow up question is- what would you do with the floor drain?

I have no strong feelings on where the plumbing goes, could be any of the three walls, or even utilizing the p-trap already in the floor if that's reasonable. I was pointing out challenges I see with every solution I could come up with and was wondering if anyone else had a better solution I hadn't thought of yet.

I agree that that the washer/dryer draining better with a low drain is weird, but it's a very consistent remark on this machine. Folks complaining of drying times in excess of 5+ hours fixed the problem immediately by draining into a bucket or lower standpipe cutting drying time to 1.5-2 hours.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The existing floor drain is not properly installed, so you might consider removing it and then using that drain and vent in a new laundry standpipe installation.

Holland

Reaction score
The existing floor drain is not properly installed, so you might consider removing it and then using that drain and vent in a new laundry standpipe installation.

Do you say it's not properly installed because the joist was notched to accommodate it?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Do you say it's not properly installed because the joist was notched to accommodate it?

No, on a horizontal branch drain, the vent must be downstream of the trap. You currently have a horizontal section of vent which will retain solids when the system has a backup.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks