Where should a toilet supply be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
How far left or right of center should a copper stub for a toilet supply line be from the center of the drain?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are recommended distances for all of the Toto models and probably other brands as well, but the main thing is not to be to close to the center. With the flex supply lines that are mostly used now, distances more or less than the recommend won't make that much difference. Heck, mine comes through the floor! I suppose if one is installing new plumbing and has a toilet selected, it would be reasonable to use the distance recommended for that toilet, but replacing a toilet with another, you would just use the existing supply.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
Depends on the toilet. If I remember correctly it was 8 inches left of center (as facing the wall) for my Toto Carlyle. Other toilets may be closer so it is best to check the rough-in dimensions drawing for the toilet you are installing.

Or just make it 10 inches and you will be sure to fit. :rolleyes:

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I just moved two toilet supplies to make them compatable with the Toto's I plan to install. I think the std was about 4 or 5 inches to the left. The skirted Toto's need them further to the left so I moved them over a few more inches. Left side facing the toilet is the std location.....

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
8" to the left of center works for just about anything.

fluidmaster-toilet-supply-38.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
supply

I put mine 6" to the left and 8" up, but you really want to check the toilet. For example, Kohler once made a toilet which had the supply on the right so the supply pipe in the conventional location required an extral long supply tube.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks