Where & how should I tie in a new toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

JetskiPirate

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm remodeling my first floor bathroom, and adding a toilet. There had been a toilet previously connected to the pipe marked "capped off," and it was removed for unknown reasons.

Where & how can I tie in the new toilet, and what are the vent requirements?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190917_162401.jpg
    20190917_162401.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 235

JetskiPirate

Reaction score
Can anyone offer me any guidance here? I've looked through the IPC, and the forums, but I'm not clear on what can be upstream or downstream from a toilet drain, or how far apart things need to be.
I work in a lot of houses, but I don't see very many that seem to have a dedicated vent for a toilet around here.
How screwy does the existing stuff look?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Vertical waste should drop into a long turn 90, a wye fitting or a combo. Not a santee.
The toilet can be wet vented by a shower or lav if that is run with 2" for venting. Or the toilet can have it's own vent too, a 2" at the least.
The shower or lav gets vented "before" entering a line swept by a toilet.
A downstairs toilet also gets vented before entering the line meant for the upstairs.

JetskiPirate

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Terry.

I just bought the house, and everything drains fine, but I had a feeling those santees weren't right. I'll have to deal with that before it gets inspected. Makes me wonder what else isn't done correctly, that isn't visible...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks