Where Do I Begin? Fan Motor Squealing

Users who are viewing this thread

Xroad

Reaction score
The fan above uses 1.15A for 70 cfm so this one must be slightly more than 70. The noise level probably depends on the propeller design.

Thanks for the help ThatGuy, so what number do I need to bring to Grangers? 85T, 99080285, or N671-H ?

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
another option is to forget the fan all together and add a separate blower fan in the attic.

Personally... I'd replace the bushings with bearings. It's a tricky procedure involving shimming the core and epoxying the new bearings in place, but it's one sure way to make it last.

Joe Six Pack

Reaction score
How hard would it be to replace the fan?
Do you have access to it?
How long has the fan motor been squealing?
Does it just squeal? or does it rattle some too?

Xroad

Reaction score
How hard would it be to replace the fan?
Do you have access to it?
How long has the fan motor been squealing?
Does it just squeal? or does it rattle some too?

The fan unit housing is inside the ceiling of a basement apartment. Tough to get to. That is why I canot find out the model mumber of the whole unit. Also difficult to sync up with the tenant to get into the apartment.

It is very old. 10 years, maybe.

It has been squealing for a while.

No rattling.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Can I use a pancake fans commonly found in computer and electronic equipments? My work place throws away tons of old equipment and I can pry one of those fan off. All I need is to fab some mounting bracket onto the original plate from the fan unit. What are the typical computer fan cfm rating? Around 70 cfm I hope.

Here's one from
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/220/Fans/3.html
that runs on 120vac.

CAT# CF-275CAT# CF-275
EZ Fan # FP-108-1-S3B. 4.69" square x 1.5". 110/120 Vac, 0.11 Amps. 54 CFM. Ball bearings. Aluminum housing with 5 blades. Terminals can be soldered or used with standard fan plug. UL, CSA.

Xroad

Reaction score
As jbfa74 suggested, go buy the exact fan and take the guts out of it. I had no idea what the original model is. So I cannot do that. I went on to look for a motor.

From ACE, with shipping, $22. Gaingers is about the same price.

Figure I stop by Lowes and Home Depot and see what they got. They have replacement motor and fan cage assembly for $25 or so. They did not have the size I needed. Apparently Broan had 7-1/4" x 7-1/2" mounting plate and 7-1/4" x 8" mounting plate. The same guts fits in all different models.

Now that I don't need to find out what EXACT model number is ..... I started to looked at new fan unit ... 50 cfm unit cost $12. 70 cfm (what I needed) cost $28. Only difference is the size of the motor and the fan cage. The guts from either will fit for my need. So for about $8 more, I can get what I need NOW without waiting.

Anyway, the bathroom where this is used is pretty tiny. So, I went the cheap way and bought the 50 cfm instead of the 70 cfm, $12 one.

In the end, I learn that the motor & fan cage is 95% of the whole new unit. Many places actually sells the motor higher price than the whole new unit!

I am surprise Broan sells the 50 & 70 cfm unit for such a big difference in price. The bigger motor cannot cost that much more.

Thanks all for your help.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
"The bigger motor cannot cost that much more."

Supply and demand.
A starter motor for a Harley costs 10x anybody's else's motor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks