Where did my plan go wrong? When is a 4" reamer not a 4" reamer?

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
My PVC toilet flange is broken and the repair ring did not work, so I cut of the flange flush with the tile and planned to ream out the old piece of PVC and weld in a new flange. The OD of the PVC flange is 4".
So I ordered a 4" reamer - and it just came in (after waiting a week).

But the actual OD of the Reamer is more like 4-1/2".

Where did I go wrong. Why doesn't a 4" reamer cut out a 4" hole?

I have a similar design reamer in 2" that I used on my Pool pvc and it works exactly as I expected this one to work. But the pilot or centering part of the reamer is 4" and cutter is more like 4-1/2".

What size reamer should I get? I need a reamer where the centering part fits inside the 4" flange (around 3-3/4" pilot) and it cuts a 4"OD hole.

Should I just try to chip or grind the old flange out - or would it be better to just the correct size/type reamer?

broken flange.jpg
Flange replacement.jpg

Attachments

• Reed PPR400.jpg
    Reed PPR400.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Have you seen the Youtube videos where people use heat after the saw cuts?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The tool you bought is designed to ream out a pvc hub. The pipe that fits into that hub has a 4" ID, but the pvc pipe has 1/4" walls, so two walls plus the id = 4.5". Your flange attached to the outside of the 4" pipe, so it's OD is 4.5".

You might be able to use that tool to ream out the hub the riser comes out of, install a new riser, then attach a new flange to it. You'd probably want to use an inside pipe cutter to cut most of it off above the hub below, then ream what's left of the pipe in the hub. Note, the original hub has a slight taper...the reamer will make it with straight sides. Use a good coat of pvc cement to fill the gap when cementing in a new riser.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Thanks for replying.
I can't use this tool as is because the centering or pilot part of the reamer is too large to fit inside the PVC that remains. I need to buy a different reamer ("inside pipe cutter") that cuts a 4" OD. If I have that tool then I can just insert my new flange and be done.

I don't see anything on the packaging of this reamer that says it is for a reaming "PVC Hub". It does say it is Plastic Pipe "Fitting" Reamer. Is the word "fitting" the key (rather than saying "pipe") or would a real plumber just have known this is the wrong reamer?

I'm going to see if the place where I bought this (WholesalePowerTools.com) has the reamer type I need, and hopefully return this one.

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I did see that video, but I don't want to try that if there is a tool available.

I'm concerned that if I break that 90 degree fitting the flange fits into, I'll have to break out the concrete and tile to replace it. I don't mind spending some money for a tool - I just got the wrong tool in this case.
I have a 2" pipe reamer (same design) that I've used many times on my pool piping. it works great - I thought this 4" reamer was the same thing.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I went back to tool store and looked at every PVC reamer - and this is the only 4" reamer.
I don't understand - is sch 40 PVC pipe outside diameter 4" or 4-1/2"? Or is the confusion because I working with a 4" toilet flange and assuming that is the same outer dimension as 4" pvc pipe?

Here's the description - it sounds like it is intended to ream 4" PVC pipe
ReedPPR400 description.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
is sch 40 PVC pipe outside diameter 4" or 4-1/2"?
I working with a 4" toilet flange and assuming that is the same outer dimension as 4" pvc pipe?
They come 3 common ways that I know of:
  • 4" inside fit flange fits inside 4" Schedule 40 DWV pipe.
  • 4-Inch Spigot Closet Flange fits inside the hub end of 4-Inch Schedule 40 DWV fitting. Same OD as PVC dwv schedule 40 pipe.
  • 4" Hub fit, or outside fit, would match OD of 4 inch PVC pipe.
The frequently used 3x4 closet flange can act as either a 4-inch inside fit or a 3-inch hub fit.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Plumbing pipe is always sized by inside diameter. The common PVC tools are made to cut a section of pipe away from the inside of a fitting so that the fitting can be reused.
An inside fit toilet flange fits inside the pipe, so it is smaller than what your reamer is intended for.

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Okay - I didn't know that. I guess that's why professionals charge as much as they do for what they know. These lessons are expensive.

So, I"ll use the "heat and peel" method HJ referred to and peel out the remaining PVC flange (the white colored PVC in the photo). If the heat and peel method messes up the inside of the PVC pipe, then I could use the reamer. That would give me a clean fitting.

Then I need to get a short piece of 4" pipe (like 4" in length) to insert/weld into the 90 degree fitting, and then glue my toilet flange into that.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Alternatively, you could clean out enough material from around the OUTSIDE of the existing riser pipe to install a new outside fit flange on the pipe and be done with it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Another alternative, if the pipe goes down straight for a bit, would be to use the Genova Products 75158S. That way, if you ever replaced that floor, you would have an easy time pulling the closet flange.
43c0a513-bbbe-4d18-86de-d64215f205f5_1.c7e27d0556170a1820e4e9fd3f595b81.jpeg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Another alternative, if the pipe goes down straight for a bit, would be to use the Genova Products 75158S. That way, if you ever replaced that floor, you would have an easy time pulling the closet flange.
43c0a513-bbbe-4d18-86de-d64215f205f5_1.c7e27d0556170a1820e4e9fd3f595b81.jpeg

If would not expect that to seal inside the broken section of flange he has now, or even fit properly within it.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score

It worked! I can't believe how easy it was. I was a little afraid at first that I might mess up the hub that is in the concrete - so I was hesitant to try the heat, but no problems, peeled right out.

Thanks!!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, most fittings make connections via their hub (i.e., straight pipe fits into them). Some may have a hub on one end, and 'normal' sized pipe on the other (such as a street el). Those reamers are designed to clean out a hub on a fitting (those terms are sometimes used interchangeably).

Glad it worked out for you. Sometimes, peeling an old fitting off can take out chunks or leave a rough surface that has to be dealt with.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks