Where did I go wrong? Water backing up into kitchen sink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Joker

Reaction score
I've been reading some of the responses on this board over the past few weeks and I was wondering if someone here could help me out.

I've been mired in a kitchen renovation for the past month. In order to make the new cabinets fit, I unexpectedly discovered that I would have to move my kitchen sink drain about a foot and a half over from where it originally came through the floor. After removing the old cabinets and drain, I called my local plumber about my situation and the fact that I didn't have a vent to the roof. He gave me some advice on installing an air admittance valve, but told me that he would not be able to come to do my plumbing for quite a while, maybe several weeks (he is quite busy as there has been some bad weather here and he farms on the side). I'm only aware of the one plumber in my area (that's worth calling from what I'm told) and calling in someone from further away would cost A LOT more. I decided that I would try to do it myself.

Due to closed in walls and asbestos-laced insulation in the attic that I would rather not disturb, a proper roof vent is out of the question.

I did a heck of a lot of research and spent hours in the plumbing departments of Home Depot and Rona. I asked advice from people there and got all the pieces and tested them together. I got the drain hooked up and tied into the original copper with a 90° turn and a rubber coupling.

Now, when I fill and drain the kitchen sink, the water backs up from one sink into the other. This is annoying, but not serious, however, I'm planning to install a dishwasher in the next week or two and I don't want that water backing up into the sink. I don't recall this happening before and the previous owners had only used an air admittance valve rated for use in a rv.

The results of my work can be seen in the pictures below. In this photo, you can see the view from the basement.

IMG_2056.JPG

And here you can see below the sink. The pipe coming from the drain goes up to an air admittance valve well above the drain height.

IMG_2068.JPG

IMG_2069.JPG

I'm considering replacing the 90° turns with a more gentle sloping 45° turns to speed up the draining. I also may see if I can get the copper pipe and drain out snaked. If i have to call someone from further away to fix this, I will or I will wait until the local plumber is available, but if there is anything I can do first, please let me know. Thanks for your time.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
This is what I would do, put some rags in the cabinet, unscrew the AAV, run water; if it still backs up in the sink or runs out of the pipe where the AAV was you have a clogged line, if it runs fine, the AAV is defective.

P.S. You should cut that AAV lower to make it easier to get to, they do go bad.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with what you did. IF the aav was defective, it would still drain fine, possibly some gurgle, and you might siphon the trap. You have a clog somewhere.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Follow what the other plumbers are posting I know from my own 30+ years as a
Master Plumber that just about any time I change out a garbage disposer or do move
any drain pipes or remodel a kitchen I always have to snake the kitchen drain afterwards !

Do not use any chemicals in drain ! ! Repeat do not use any chemicals in drain ! !
They will eat up that copper drain pipe fast !
Rent a portable electric snake or wait till you can have plumber come out !

As far as the way you did the abs piping I would have ran it the very same way except
where you use the reducer coupling on the copper
#1 you never ever reduce a drain going down !
#2 that is the wrong type coupling to use there ! Check pro-flex, or mission band pl x cop solid band couplings

PS THAT IS THE MOST PROFESSIONAL DRAIN I HAVE EVER SEEN RUN FROM A HOMEOWNER ON THIS FORUM !

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; THAT IS THE MOST PROFESSIONAL DRAIN I HAVE EVER SEEN RUN FROM A HOMEOWNER ON THIS FORUM !

Let's not get sickening, now. First, it was almost too small and simple of an installation to mess it up too much, and it is not the way I would have done it.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
quote; that is the most professional drain i have ever seen run from a homeowner on this forum !

Let's not get sickening, now. First, it was almost too small and simple of an installation to mess it up too much, and it is not the way i would have done it.

yes you and i know that but it was good for diy homeowner
look at how many screw up just the two part waste and p trap connections

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks