Where can I run my TPR valve drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave dyi

Reaction score
I thought we were in CA? UPC code ? UPC code requires pan even if it never had one
Yes in CA. I did put in a pan. I was searching lots of sites (again I'm a dyi'er not in the trades) and found the IPC which says if replacing a WH a pan is required but a pan Drain is not if one wasn't previously installed. So many different codes, so doing the best I can to do it right. So IPC a no go in CA and I should look only at UPC? And no Drain exception in UPC? So I should put in the pan drain.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dave diy, yes to add confusion different codes apply to different areas mostly by state . as far as I know all CA has ca plumbing code based on the UPC. Hope this makes sense.
might be of interest that a guy on here lived in some back east state in an apartment building and was mad that inspector didn't require protection . water heater had no pan and t and p was dumping on floor like in a hall closet or perhaps kitchen area not clear but within the apt unit. it was evidently "grandfathered in " legal.
You seem to be getting it under control Dave, didn't know but back in 79 that was pretty common . and in fairness its difficult /expensive to get compliance at times , shortcuts get taken by many. if you can get the drain into garage with a 1 inch PVC and turn maybe run 5 feet or so I wouldn't think too much cold air would come into laundry area, kinda late now but having the tank up off floor say 3 inches would have let your drain pipe go through wall missing the sill plate

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks