When to replace supply lines and valves

Users who are viewing this thread

NKaufman

Reaction score
Got a plumber coming in to replace a couple of toilets.

House is 17 years old with original supply lines/valves etc and am wondering if I should get new supply lines for all faucets/toilets not just for the new toilets.

Do people recommend changing them at some interval OR just wait till it breaks :)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The new supply lines haven't been out very long. Time will tell how long they will last.
Anytime I install a new fixture though, I replace the supply lines from the stops. They don't cost me much, and I don't really want that tiny bit of savings to be a problem later on. New faucet or toilet, always new supply lines from me.
Still don't know how long we should wait though to pull and replaces lines in use.

NKaufman

Reaction score
Thanks, Was just curious since plumber is anyhow going to be there, might as well get other supply lines replaced if needed.
Of course I'll have the supply lines replaced for the new toilets.

The last time we'd changed a toilet, the plumber had asked to change not only the supply line but also the stop valve.
Not sure if that was needed but it wasn't a big deal.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The last time we'd changed a toilet, the plumber had asked to change not only the supply line but also the stop valve.
Not sure if that was needed but it wasn't a big deal.

If it's a corrugated line with stop attached, those get replaced.
I would say that about one third of the time on toilets, I'm also replacing the stop.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks