When to replace old cast iron pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
she has 45 defree offset in shower trap arm it isnt like the sketch above no offsets allowed.
the vent being below flood level not quite code but funtions ok most times
It may turn out to be a wet vent from the lav.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Is she a plumber or a homeowner? The problem with the trap arm drop is that that the trop could siphon. It will boy siphon if the arm is straight, and that's what a plumber must do. From a practical standpoint, does it actually siphon out, and if so, how often? It sounds like she's never experienced this, and it might be difficult to eliminate the drop. That's all I'll say on that.

On the other hand, I have had a problem with venting below the flood rim. I was working on a drain for a kitchen sink. When we took the pipe down, it was full of grease 100%. But the tenant never had a problem. Where did the water go? Obviously it was draining in the vent, and we never knew to snake the line. Does this matter? I think it does for many reasons, among them, if the vent clogs, what if there is no access to snake it?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is she a plumber or a homeowner? The problem with the trap arm drop is that that the trop could siphon. It will boy siphon if the arm is straight, and that's what a plumber must do. From a practical standpoint, does it actually siphon out, and if so, how often? It sounds like she's never experienced this, and it might be difficult to eliminate the drop. That's all I'll say on that.

On the other hand, I have had a problem with venting below the flood rim. I was working on a drain for a kitchen sink. When we took the pipe down, it was full of grease 100%. But the tenant never had a problem. Where did the water go? Obviously it was draining in the vent, and we never knew to snake the line. Does this matter? I think it does for many reasons, among them, if the vent clogs, what if there is no access to snake it?

Im a little confused I thought we were discusing Lois Lanes problem and all discusion has been on her job? and the offset trap arm is definately very poor workmanship. if you have a plumbing issue Im not aware of it, might be a good idea to start a thread on your problem.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
I fixed my issues, just thought the experience might be relevant since the flood rim came up in an earlier post.

If you can fix the trap arm, you should do it, if not, well...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks