What's the newest in automatic laundry shutoffs?

Users who are viewing this thread

ChrisMDL

Reaction score
Okay so I am planning a laundry room remodel. I am going from side by side top loaders to a stacked machine front loader setup. I plan to have the machines slid into a cabinet opening, so there will not be ready access to the back of the machines without pulling them out. I also don't want to have the shut off valve out and viewable with hoses running from it.

In my prior home, we had laundry in the basement and I installed the Keeney Timeout. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=keeney+timeout

I loved that setup because the wife could just turn the water on before a laundry session, and the timer lasted 2.5 hours, so no remembering to turn the water off, and it kept the water pressure off the hoses when laundry wasn't being done. A great smart 'dumb' solution.

I've seen the Watts Intelliflow. But it worries me for a few reasons. It works by sensing current draw from the washing machine. This is a problem because many machines today constantly draw a small current for wifi connections and what not. The Intelliflow manual mentions this and suggest an add-on accessory that's basically a 2 hour timer. So it's $350+ for a 2 hour timer.

I've seen the whole house leak detectors like the Moen product. A good idea, but I've seen its a monthly subscription to access all the features. I don't need a monthly payment on water valves.

My ideal setup would be a button I can place on the backsplash of the countertop next to the machines that starts a 2 hour timer to open the valves. That would be the slickest installation.

What exists out there for me? Thanks!!!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We've installed solenoid shut off valves for dentists office for decades. every night they flick off the lights and the water.

In residential we install point of use water detector units that shut off if they sense water in a pan. Most often located at the water heater and the clothes washer especially with them being installed on upper floors now. The brand we use is Floodstop. I've installed the Watts unit for a customer who did his own modifications for the necessity of the washer to be always on.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
My plan is to use some shutoff valves that turn off on loss of power. Then I'll power them from a timer controlled receptacle.

Cheers, Wayne

ChrisMDL

Reaction score
Yes I am thinking I might have to make up a custom solution here.

Thanks for sharing Floodstop. Maybe that will be the best route. I can hide the keypad in the adjacent lower cabinet. Ideally, the floodstop would be perfect with a slicker looking controller. I am picturing a dial like the nest thermostat with a screen. Showing the open/closed position and when turning on, could be a countdown timer from a preset time.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know anything about nest... just too techy for me now. But I bet there has to be something like that that could control other devices.

Solenoid valves come in Normally open or closed position. So that you power them to open or to close. In the case of power failure then one version will default to closed so that you then need to power it to gain water. That is the setup that I installed for my friends mom when she became paralyzed and could no longer access her main shut off. A flick of a switch under the kitchen cabinet controlled the water supply. They usually have a variety of power options with 12 and 24V being the most common. Its been a number of years since I've worked on dental clinics, so I havent really dealt with them much lately, there could be a lot newer versions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks