What's That Bubbling Sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

JT2

Reaction score
All of a sudden I'm hearing what seems to be a boiling water sound in my Hot Water Furnace. Never heard it before. Can anyone clue me into what this may be. Is it an issue?
Thanks guys.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Check to make sure it is not air bound . CAREFULLY Test the T&P according to manufacturing directions and also think about using the blow down valve on the bottom to possibly remove sediment

DO it when you can get a replacement valve if the one fails

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
By the way a "furnace" does not heat water normally its either a boiler or a water heater

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
What is the system pressure set to?

Can we assume this is pumped hot water, not steam?

Is the bubbling sound related to pump flow, or do you hear it whenever the burner is firing?

Low water pressure at the boiler can result in hiss/fizz type bubbling on the heat exchanger whenever the burner is firing, which can develop into popping clanging/banging if it drops WAY low. Low pressure at the intake to a pump can result in pump cavitation noise, which is hard on the pumps.

Air in the system can create some fizzy type bubbling noises too, but it's usually heard more in the plumbing than the boiler itself.

(And Sylvan is correct that it's rightly referred to as "boiler", not "furnace". In the HVAC world the latter term refers only to hot air heating systems.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks