What's going on with this Delta tub faucet valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
This has been going on since we built the house. Jennifer's tub has this Delta Monitor valve. She's complained for 10 years, that she cant get hot water in the shower, and I thought it was because the tub is at the far end of the house, which is 80 feet from the water heater.

But today I tried it. I left the faucet on for enough time to where the hit water started coming out, but it was warm, not hot. I had it fully on!

THEN I checked the sink in that same bathroom, the same way. Left it on. And the water came out so hot that I had to remove my hand, or scald it!

So what the heck is with this valve? I thought Delta faucets were the best.

Bath%20tub%20valve%20Jennifers%208-3-16.jpg

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
Remove the handle and adjust the temperature limit stop.
You have it set to prevent rotating further to the left where the really hot water is.

Oh jeez. They ship them this way, so you cant get fully hot water? This has been driving her crazy for 10 years, and I just thought it was the distance from the water heater! It's been really bad in the winters here in Denver, when our cold water is icy! We kept having to turn the water heater up, way higher than it should have been, JUST so she could get enough hot water to shower!

Thanks Terry!

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
Thanks very much guys! Will take care of this and remember it from now on!

As far as protecting from scalding, I'm not sure we even want that. We're adults here.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
THere is a temperature limiter under the handle which may need adjusting, or the pressure balancing unit could be stuck or sticking.

Yeah, I just looked around and found some videos. I guess scalding is of SOME concern, even for us adults. So what I can do is open it up and adjust it to put out 105 degree water, max. I think scalding is something like 115. So that should allow nice hot showers and no scalding.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
105 is about the temp of a hot tub, you may want it a little hotter than that. No more than 120 max at the shower. 110-115 F is a good hot shower.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, although not all that many people actually do read them, they include instructions in the installation manual that tell you about this for a reason! In the USA, this is a Federal mandate, and has been in place for decades now, so it's not something new.

The young and old are much more susceptible to scalding burns because their skin is thinner, but it could happen to anyone.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use a Delta and love it. Water temp can be adjusted from cold to hot easily, but not to dangerous level. When I installed it several years ago, I read the installation instructions, then kept them handy while I adjusted the high level. It took some tinkering to get it set, but once it was done. it has been just fine. I we had small children in the home, I'd set the high temp lower.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The biggest hassle, to me anyways, is that if you set the max temp when the incoming cold is warm, say in the summer, it may not get hot enough in the winter when the cold can be significantly colder. Same issue in the winter...during the summer it can be considerably hotter when the seasons change. One of the major reasons why I prefer a good thermostatically controlled valve - it adjusts itself.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
The biggest hassle, to me anyways, is that if you set the max temp when the incoming cold is warm, say in the summer, it may not get hot enough in the winter when the cold can be significantly colder. Same issue in the winter...during the summer it can be considerably hotter when the seasons change. One of the major reasons why I prefer a good thermostatically controlled valve - it adjusts itself.

I got into it today. Fully on, it came out at 135. I just adjusted it to 117 degrees. We'll see in the winter, but we have no kids in the house and I know how to do this now, so I can always just adjust it full bore in the winter, if this 117 doesn't work. Jennifer is about to try it tonight, so I'll report back here. :) First time in 12 years she'll be able to get a nice hot shower! Thanks people!

So are those thermostatically controlled ones expensive? :)

Jadnashua

Reaction score
They're more expensive than a simple, single handle one, partly because they must have a second knob or handle - the trim has to cost a bit more, then the cartridge is more. With all that I've seen, one control adjusts the on/off volume, and the second dials in the temperature. You can leave the temp knob alone for the most part, and just turn the volume control on/off. I find it handy when just getting in the shower...I can run it at low volume while standing in the shower until things are all flushed out and the temp is right, then turn it up full. Other than that, the volume doesn't buy you much. What you have now, it's either off or on full. Hard to stay out of the spray while things warm up that way.

Depending on the Delta valve you have, you might be able to convert to one. In the big box stores, they sell a complete 'kit'. But, in a real plumbing store, you buy the rough-in valve, then choose the 'guts' and trim you want. The R10000 Delta rough-in valve body will accept three different types of valves: single handle pressure balanced (probably what you have), a two handle, volume/temp; or a two-handle, thermostat/volume.

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
Ahh, that's ok. By the way, Jennifer sends her thanks! She had a nice hot shower tonight and it really helped the RSD pain in her legs! ( she's handicapped )

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks