What's better? .... thin alled brass or plastic waste lines?

Users who are viewing this thread

SWong

Reaction score
Heartbreaking news this morning when I shared some before and after pic with wife's relative showing yesterday's project replacing rotted out thin-walled brass sink waste lines this time with polyethylene plastic. I normally info share project undertaken with friends & family as many of us own homes which will or eventually incur these very same repairs. Moral of the story was I was lamenting on the price of junk imported replacement parts necessary to replace both p-trap along with lines all the way up to the sink strainer. My cost was pushing $40 for parts alone only to find when you contract out only to find a 30-minute projects was gouged for $450.00 for the very same repair.

My circle of friends and family are predominantly all senior citizens and retirees all on fixed incomes living in a very expensive locale....NYC which is NOT cheap! Wife's friend who by the way is also a widow was recently gouged for $450 on a 30 minute plumbing job which is heartbreaking. My followup question is ... what is everyone's preference in materials when replacing rotted out sink waste lines? I'm a firm believer in metal however I never seem to get more than 7-9 years use before they rot out. I'm currently testing a upstairs kitchen sink using non-metal polyethylene (pictures enclosed!) however wife has a tendency of pouring scalding hot pasta water down sink drains which gives me pause not knowing if plastic will survive 212 degree fahrenheit scalding water. Research states plastic will last 30+ years versus 7 years on thin walled brass which I have previously favored. Need this answered before I convert over the remaining 5 sinks. Thanks much for your opinions ..... Terry Love's Forums Rock!

upload_2019-3-17_9-13-45.png

Attachments

• DSC00019.JPG
    DSC00019.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 335
  • DSC00021.JPG
    DSC00021.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC00020.JPG
    DSC00020.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

SWong

Reaction score
That actually ate thru in 9 years? Seems pretty fast. Been using chemical drain cleaner?

Plastic lasts longer. I think you had figured that out. Too bad the pipes in the wall are not plastic.
I've started marking my replaced pipes with a magic marker just to get a idea of longevity/durability of all my waste lines. No, I avoid using any type chemical drain cleaners and when I get sluggish drain I use my Mailwaukee electric drain snake to clear the obstruction. I don't even think I got 9 years out of this recently replaced waste line. It doesn't help when Home Depot only sells 20 gauge brass which in my opinion is paper thin.... I won't even go into the fact it's imported which to me doesn't instill confidence of longevity. Anyone know a source of really thick (better than 17 gauge?) brass waste line?

SWong

Reaction score
https://www.bigbluesaw.com/big-blue...-thicknesses-for-brass-copper-and-silver.html has the thickness dimensions.

If you put "17-Gauge" into the HD search box they show some availability that you have to order to pick up at the store.

I did not find heavier.
Would you believe the rotted out thin wall brass waste line "was" 17gauge purchased from Home Depot? Well it was which is why I'm looking for even thicker gauge (12 gauge would be perfect!). I can only assume it'w rotting prematurely is the fact it's imported from China notorious for adulterating/shortchanging/counterfeiting already time tested designs. Exacerbating matters is the fact the slip nuts are now zinc plated pot metal failing at alarming rates which is why I bulk purchase genuine "brass" on eBay whenever I can find them at reasonable prices.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you want to spend the money, buy cast brass or copper fittings. Plastic might last just as long, but I could never achive the same level of satisfaction installing plastic.

SWong

Reaction score
If you want to spend the money, buy cast brass or copper fittings. Plastic might last just as long, but I could never achive the same level of satisfaction installing plastic.
Can you provide a supplier or website as I've already completed many google searches w/o success. I've contemplated using thick schedule 40 pvc however the ends are impossible to connect properly to both the end of the sink strainer basket and the actual waste pipe goining into the wall. Pictures attached earlier show the imported (ugh!) p-trap. I'm pretty handy and have access to many tools but even I cannot solve the dilemma of securely attaching sch40 pvc to sink strainer baskets....duh?

Reach4

Reaction score
I see the advantage of that brass trap in that it is compact.

If you used plastic, I think you would have to swivel the trap to clear the shelf. I think it could fit that way.

It looks like you could cut the galvanized shorter. Then what? Thread new NPT in tight quarters, or use a shielded coupling to PVC? I just hope the metal in the wall does not fail on you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks