What's Better - One long session, or multiple shorter sessions?

Users who are viewing this thread

vivona

Reaction score
I saw a video that claims for sandy soil (mine is 85% sand) it is better to run through the irrigation program three times, each time putting down 1/3 of the intended total time for each zone. For instance, if you had 6 zones and each required 30 minutes, you set the zones for 10 minutes each and run the program three consecutive times. The total water applied remains the same, but runoff is decreased and the wet ground will hold the next application better rather than have it percolate deeper into the ground.

Here is the video http://www.youtube.com/user/IrrigationTV#p/u/15/TuV5x7-uNGM The comment starts about 2:35 into the video.

I would be interested in your comments, pro or con.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In my area we have lousy soil, and if you water for more than about 5 minutes, it starts to run off. So 2 or 3 shorter intervals is definitley better. In real sandy soil, I don't know if it matters. I think you just have to water more often.

vivona

Reaction score
I guess one downside is that the pop-up heads go through three times as many cycles so they may wear out sooner.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks