What's A Good "How To" Reference For The Novice Homeowner?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by NDL, Mar 22, 2019.

1. NDL

NDL Member

When I was a kid, I used to read the Readers Digest Home Improvement series books for fun, as I would learn off of the books. As time wore on, however, a lot of the "home improvement" books were dumbed down in terms of content, and no longer became fun to read (nor were they a good source to learn from).

Nowadays, I can look online for "how to" materials, but how do I know that the author is providing good instructions?

Are there any good sources of reference materials/how to guides, on how to install a bathtub/tile wall from scratch, for the novice homeowner?

Thanks

2. EppNation

EppNation New Member

Most all forums (like this one) will have some form of a "resources" tab across the top or could be at the bottom among other links. These links are going to cover broad spectrum information to the topic/industry the forum is specific to.

More accurately, within the forum itself there is always what's called "sticky" threads that are always on the top (intentionally, to be easily accessed by new and veteran members of the forum alike). It's these stickies where you are going to discover (from the comfort of your home, or where ever you do your research) what others have discovered in the field and were gracious and conscience enough to document for others to learn off of. You won't find unanswered riddles in sticky threads, only solved issues, while other experienced users chime in "Nice work! Never thought to do that, I fixed mine doing this and that here and there" Countless recollections of those who've been involved in the industry for such a long time they have a better way of doing everything. While this personality type can be annoying in person, they are very very welcomed in the forum communities (where people only see what they have to say vs hearing it, and even more so, the readers aren't exposed to the input against there will! They are reading willingly!)

I've always judged and evaluated a new forum by the number of stickies and the content therein. Granted, the creation and updating of stickies are the responsibility of the moderators, but just as well, good stickies often = good and attentive moderators which also adds to the quality and overall experience of any forum.

Hope this helps!

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement