What water softener would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jakester

Reaction score
I am looking to put in a water softener and wanted some guidance from the professionals. I can get a Fleck 5600sxt with structural fiberglass tank from ABCwaters or a local guy can install a Fleck 5800 series with Enpress Vortech tank. Which one is a better tank and which head is better?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Not necessarily better but the question is, what is appropriate for your requirements.

The 5600 is the largest selling control valve made. It is an older 3/4" design which has its limitations but if your requirements are within its capabilities, then it should work well for you.

The 5800 series is the newest series available, with additional features as well as models which offer up to 1.5" connections and higher backwash capabilities to support larger diameter tanks.

Fleck, similar to Clack, no longer offers their newest valves to the DIY & online market which is why 5600 series valves are typically found online whereas 5800, 5810, 5812 are not.

A quality fibreglass tank such as Structural, Clack, Enpress etc is commonly used with a gravel underbed. Most softeners use this configuration as it is low tech and reliable.

Vortec tanks had some issues early on but the smaller diameter tanks seem to be more reliable now and so are being recommended with little hesitation.

If you state your water conditions as well as your household water requirements (gallons per month or number of residents), your main service line diameter, fixtures with high flow requirements (ie; multi-head showers, soaker tubs etc), as well as the size of softener you are considering, we can then provide recommendations for efficient salt use or other benefits.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I always lean toward the local guy if the price is reasonable. They have a vested interest in selling you high end equipment since they will have to see you face to face and they will be the guy servicing the unit should something go wrong in the future.

5800 over 5600SXT anyday...

Vortech or Structural, both good, since the problems have not really occurred with the Vortech for a couple years now I am recommending them more often than I have in the past. The idea behind the vortech tank is excellent and I have a cutaway of their newest design which has been in use for a long time now, it seems fairly bullet proof.

Jakester

Reaction score
The local guy will be about an extra $800-1000 which is a decent difference. I am sure the 5800 is better than 5600 but not sure about the Vortech, how are the two systems different? I know structural has been around for a long time and is a reliable tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
The local guy will be about an extra $800-1000 which is a decent difference. I am sure the 5800 is better than 5600 but not sure about the Vortech, how are the two systems different? I know structural has been around for a long time and is a reliable tank.
Vortech provides a screen/shelf for the resin. That way the water from the flow can spread out at the bottom to the full diameter. Gravel provides much of that same spreading effect, but not as much as the Vortech. Some providers omit gravel to save shipping costs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks