What type of strapping can be used for plumbing?

Users who are viewing this thread

uga72

Reaction score
What type of strapping can be used for plumbing? - Pic included

Great site. As a homeowner trying to handle an extensive master bath remodel I have found Terry's site to be invaluable.

One question that has come up in my mind in a effort to be as thorough as possible before I button up the walls concerns metal strapping.

I am installing a grohetherm valve and Grohe volume control in the new shower. For those who have worked with their stuff I think you would agree that it takes some creativity to mount those buggers especially if you are not using copper (using pex - hope that is okay).

I have fabricated a wood panel that does the job well but I have used galvanized strap (and Sheetrock screws) to hold the valves to the boards. I was assuming that the brass and strap wouldn't react with one another but was hoping for a little more insight into proper materials. Thanks for the help.

Here is a image

P5130012.jpg

Last edited:

uga72

Reaction score
No response is a good response

I'll take the lack of response as "this dude really doesn't know what's going on" and " of course you can use galvanized strap."

TorontoTim

Reaction score
So these valves don't have any mounting points cast into them? Seems odd. What does the manufacturer specify?

There is copper strapping. With copper you can solder copper fittings right to the strapping to prevent any movement.

On another topic - and one fresh in my mind - what type of tape/pipe dope are you using on those fittings?

I used the plain white stuff on some 3/4" fittings on my clawfoot tub only to see it leak. Some reading and I found out you want the thicker pink tape for larger fittings, and many use pipe dope on top of the tape as well.

For something inside a wall, I'd be going all-out on these threaded fittings. I have no experience with anything other than soldered copper inside walls myself.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
strap

Using "band iron" looks a bit crude, but will work. Normally we use preformed straps around the various lines. Without water, there is no reaction between the steel and brass/copper.

uga72

Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys,

A bit crude and fabbed but definitely sturdy. Thanks for the heads up on the teflon tape. I think I'll go back and double those up with some dope to be sure.

The mounting holes are two holes on the top by the outlet. I think if you are using copper it would help but if you bolt through just those holes it wants to twist out of level.

I have the strap on top and bottom outlet pulling it into a 1 inch ply that I have routed a form in that holds the valve level. The blocks on either side of the board are set so that when I flush it with the stud the valve is at the correct depth for my finished wall. I then use their mounting holes for back up. Overkill yes but just making sure that this part of the project is bomb proof.

Work? Are you allowed to use that kind of language here?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks