What type of pipe for 180' well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gritres

Reaction score
maybe but i wouldnt make that assumption given that the ridges are rifled, they could potentially help flow and decrease turbulance

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nobody sets on anything other that PE around here. I've pulled 600 plus feet of 1" PE that was over 25 years old and it still looked like new. I can't imagine why anyone would bother screwing around with PCV, couplings or glue. Waste of time and money.

Considering that if you use either 160 or 200 psi poly you're already out of the pressure spec after about 400 ft I would say that is a pretty good reason why you would use PVC.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
outside of what pressure spec? The pressure spec is the bursting pressure not the tensile strength

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A 400 foot tall static column of water would exert somewhere around 170 PSI at the pump. Add to that what the pump produces, and you're over the spec.

This of course is calculated with the water table being down around 400 feet. I'm curious where the water table was on the 600 foot well.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
so you are saying that with 400' of water in the pipe there is 170 psi at pump level which would mean that the pump would have to push 170 psi plus around 40 to 60 extra which puts the head pressure at 220 or so lbs. ? Helluva a pump yes?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Yes, that is what I'm saying. The static water table though is somewhere above the pump so you can subtract the difference.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
so you are saying that with 400' of water in the pipe there is 170 psi at pump level which would mean that the pump would have to push 170 psi plus around 40 to 60 extra which puts the head pressure at 220 or so lbs. ? Helluva a pump yes?

And that don't even count the pipe resistance that the pump must overcome.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
It would seem that it would be impossible to pump water from that depth LOL

No, the static on the 600 footer was around 60 feet or so if I recall.

So.... Is it possible to exceed the burst rating of 200lb PE under normal conditions?

Someone can do the math if they want to but off the top of my head I don't think it's possible to pump the static down enough to where the pump will still deliver and the psi on the pipe is critical

Last edited:

Gritres

Reaction score
if the water is at 60 feet then you've only got a 60 foot column of water protruding beyond the water table adding internal pressure to the poly. if the water level drops to 400 feet on 2012 you'll have a problem though.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score

They can pump down to deeper levels than that too. 1,000 ft depths are possible with the right pump.

It would seem that it would be impossible to pump water from that depth LOL

No, the static on the 600 footer was around 60 feet or so if I recall.

So.... Is it possible to exceed the burst rating of 200lb PE under normal conditions?

Someone can do the math if they want to but off the top of my head I don't think it's possible to pump the static down enough to where the pump will still deliver and the psi on the pipe is critical

I would think that there is a reason why the pump is hung so low. I suspect that either the water level fluctuates or the well is a slow producer, so the pump is set deeper to give it reserve capacity. There is .6 gallons of water per foot in a 4" well, so 100' of casing gives 60 extra gallons of water. I have seen posts on the internet where the polypipe was split in the casing and I would suspect that the pressure spec was violated in those cases.

Luckily I almost never have to set anything past 160' so I never have to run into this problem.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, it was a low production well indeed. I can't say that I have seen PE split but I spose it's possible.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
They made some 100 psi poly 25 years ago thats all splitting now. Crestline, I think

Here is some interesting pipe - short - but PVC with 320PSI rating. I suppose one could find it in rolls.

Any way, I think the 200 PSI pipe breaks at 800 psi. And the 200 PSI is at @70' F temp.

I have a few wells for years on 350' of 160 PVC - no issues and high head.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/GF-PIPING-SYSTEMS-Pipe-6MV22?Pid=search

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks