What type of Pipe/Fittings do you use for your water treatment installations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Beets

Reaction score
I was curious what sort of fittings I should use in my PEX plumbing? I have water pH of 8.5. My water was treated for years with sodium hypochlorite, and I noted there was some loss of material in the PEX brass fittings. Nothing leaked, but it would given enough time. I have since changed to H2O2 instead of chlorine. I am curious what type of fittings I should use?

I found this chart, and it looks like brass & Nylon are not compatible with H2O2, but That is at 10%:

I expect I'm typically under 25 ppm of H2O2.

Thank you

Beets

Reaction score
My original question didn't get any responses, so I changed the subject. I am curious what type of pipe professionals are using for their water treatment installations. PVC, CPVC, PEX, other? I know some are UV sensitive. I'm curious what you use indoors where UV is not an issue. Does your choice change depending on treatment equipment being installed, treatment chemicals, etc?

Gsmith22

Reaction score
avoid CPVC at all costs as it gets brittle with age and is a ticking time bomb. bump brittle CPVC and it explodes

copper with copper or brass fittings are mostly fine so long as you don't have pH less than 7 and LSI above say -0.1. chemicals for water treatment may be an issue with copper/brass.

pex is the go to standard at this point for plumbing. its inert and not affected by chemicals, low pH, etc. Brass fittings with pex are okay (with the same caveats as copper piping/copper and brass fittings noted above) but engineered polymer fittings would provide same chemical, low pH, corrosive resistance as pex piping. threaded FIP fittings should be a metal so you don't crack them and in that case brass or stainless are probably your best bet with pex.

could always transition to stainless fittings from pex in/around water treatment if brass is corroding. Most things are fine with 304 stainless but if chloride content is higher (look up limits), 316 stainless may be necessary. If 316 stainless no good due to high chlorides, plastic using CPVC may be your only option. I shudder to think of drinking water that destroys 316 stainless.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks