what type of hose for a toe kick heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jpb116

Reaction score
Can I use a faucet hose, 30" steel braided over rubber, to tie in my toe kick heater? Or is there some special type of hose or this ?

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Depending upon the size of the heater, the typical faucet-supply hose might not allow enough flow ... but then it might be just right since you do not want excessive flow wearing out the insides of your overall plumbing anyway. Your question, however, is about whether or not the hose would hold up over time, and I would have been inclined to get a hose kit from the heater's manufacturer if I had not hard-plumbed my own heater. Whichever way you go, you should include a flow-control valve somewhere so you can have only just enough flow to keep the heat exchanger sufficiently supplied. I set the flow to my heater by watching a thermometer placed in front of it while reducing the flow until the output temp began to drop a bit, and then I opened the flow back up just enough to let the heater produce 100% of its ability.

Jpb116

Reaction score
nhmaster, I'm not sure I undertsand your response... Are you suggesting that I plumb it with copper only? If I could I would, the area it's going can not support that type of install. I'll also need to be able to move it once installed to allow for maintenence should it eve need it. A flexible install will allow for that.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

A faucet supply hose only has about a 1/4" i.d., not nearly adequate to provide heat. 3/4" stainless steel water heater connectors would work, although they are not really "flexible" to any great extent, and are probably larger than the piping you are using.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks