What TOTO dual flush to replace 11" American Standard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Hurd

Reaction score
Toilet circa 1981. Probably a 12 inch toilet in an 11 inch spot, but would that work today if I purchased a 12 inch Toto? It seems like a 10 inch would not be supported by the wall, so if I had to use 10" would I be better with a single piece vs current two piece? This is contractor grade, original when house was built in 1981 if that helps. Nothing added to the wall, nothing fancy with the flange.

Attachments

• IMG_20180811_135348.jpg
    IMG_20180811_135348.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_20180811_135422.jpg
    IMG_20180811_135422.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 305

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are you measuring from the wall? The measurement that counts is where the tank is above. That would have been a 12" toilet there, so assuming you recheck the measurement above the floor mold and to the wall, I'm guessing you will see at least 11.5" there. If so, any of the 12" rough TOTO dual flush will work there. They need 11.5" from the wall to the center of the drain. You can also move the adapter out 3/8" of an inch if needed.

Last edited:

Jim Hurd

Reaction score
That's showing 11 inches to the wall, not the molding. We don't have another .5" there, sadly.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, except for a wall-mounted or floor mounted, rear-outlet toilet, none of the typical toilets need contact with the wall for support...they are designed to have a gap behind them for a couple of reasons:
- if it sweats, there can be at least some air circulation and it doesn't trap that moisture and harbor mold
- the production variations with any porcelain materials would make it tough if had to be up against the wall, severely limiting your choices

FWIW, there's usually enough slop in both the toilet flange and the toilet so that you can fudge it off of centered, sometimes by as much as 1/2". COnsider that the outlet of most toilets is a bit over 2", and the minimum opening in the toilet flange is 3", so the toilet can be moved slightly off center.

Jim Hurd

Reaction score
So you think a 12 inch Toto Aquia IV would have enough slop so I should just get the easily available 12 inch? Or you are saying just order the 10" and it doesn't matter that there's a space, even if its a two piece?

Jim Hurd

Reaction score
10 inch seems uncommon, dual flush not that common, the combination seems hard. I found Toto aquia CST412MF.10-01 at lowes.com, but its universal height.

Jim Hurd

Reaction score
I don't know how to order one, but apparently the Kohler wellworth has dual flush, standard height, and 10 inch rough in. None of the online ordering systems seem to find it though.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Is it still true that all unifit toilets are tall/universal height?
As far as I know, yes.

FWIW, Most dining room chairs are higher than a comfort height toilet. Most people appreciate them, especially as they age which, I think, is why they are more common. The population is aging and getting taller. People usually sit in one of them far longer than on a toilet.

Jim Hurd

Reaction score
Ok, my universal height haters relented, so if I buy the Aquia IV and a 10 inch unifit adapter, then we should be good to go?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Well, the Aquia doesn't use a Unifit, but yes, if you buy the 10" rough-in version, it should fit on your 11" rough, but stick out an extra 1". The only thing on any skirted toilet to consider is where your water supply shutoff valve is...the skirt is wider and sticks back further than an unskirted one. Having an extra inch will probably make it easier. You need to look at the specifications sheet which gives dimensions. It assumes a true 10" rough-in, so move everything forward an inch from what is indicated. Note, you can also cheat the toilet back a bit on the flange to minimize the gap if you want.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok, my universal height haters relented, so if I buy the Aquia IV and a 10 inch unifit adapter, then we should be good to go?
https://www.totousa.com/filemanager_uploads/product_assets/SS-01323_MW4463056CUMG.pdf

You could try buying the Aquia IV, which comes with the 12 inch Unifit. If you cannot make that work, you could then get the 1o inch Unifit.

This is a marked up picture of my using a 12 inch Unifit making my own mounting holes and not using the intended slots. I could have used a 12 or a 14. If you used a 1o, it could look like mine. But it seems to me that you could do a similar thing with a 12, and 12 is pretty much free and has next to no resale value. I had bought a 14, and ended up having a friend sell it for me on ebay. I took a loss on it, but not bad.

index.php

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I stand corrected on the UniFit for the Aquia IV...most of the earlier ones did not use the adapter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks