What tool to hold water out while installing Nipple

Users who are viewing this thread

Lmw52

Reaction score
Hi all, I am installing an HTP Phoenix water heater. The Stainless Steel return and supply for the water is on the side of the tank...and recessed! Is there a tool/wrench I can use to hold the tank side while I install the nipple? It is very tight and everything I have doesn't fit. The space in the pictures is about 1/4 inch around the SS fitting. Thank you, Recommendations are appreciated.

1653179836136.png1653179905066.png

Lmw52

Reaction score
no tool. those adapters are welded in and need no backup.
The install manual states: 'Caution, Use two wrenches when tightening water piping at heater. Use one wrench to prevent the heater return or supply line from turning. Failure to prevent piping connections from turning could cause damage to heater components.'

My first thought when seeing the SS fitting was to put the nipple in with no tool holding the water heater fitting, but after reading this I have concerns!!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think they mean once the nipples are connected you'll have leverage don't use that leverage to break the internal components.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks