What toilet? How can it be this hard??

Users who are viewing this thread

Elsa Waller

Reaction score
I'm looking for an elongated, non-ADA height, that is quiet, well-glazed, with a decent amount of water in the bowl. I could go with a dual flush or a 1.28. I might have liked the American Standard H2Option dual flush but the one that Home Depot ordered for me was lacking glaze under the rim and on most surfaces of the drain holes. The Toto Aquila won't fit because of the large skirt (water outlet is only 6.25" off center), and I don't think it has enough water in the bowl. We have an Eco Drake now that is very tough to clean and after 8 years has deposits that I can't remove with tough chemicals and a pumice stick. Seems like all the "good" low flows are ADA height or power-assisted. Help welcomed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have really hard water, pretty much any toilet you choose will have problems down the road. The (sometimes) optional super slick glazes can help, but not eliminate it. Toto has one, as do many of their competitors.

When you flush a toilet, you want to exchange all of the water in the bowl with fresh, even if you're using a dual-flush. Since a dual-flush only uses a very small amount, you can't have a very big water spot!

Depending on how exact your rough-in location is, you might still have room enough for a toilet with a skirt. You may need an offset shower valve (Dahl makes a nice one). Terry would have a better idea of what exactly might fit, but first, you need to measure your rough-in (to the toilet flange bolts from the back wall (not the baseboard).

Reach4

Reaction score
The Cadet 3 elongated toilet from American Standard features a comfortable elongated toilet design. This standard height toilet features a clean, casually elegant design that coordinates seamlessly with the rest of the Cadet Suite.​
Of course I don't know if the glazing is better. As I understand it, glazed areas are not always smooth.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
TOTO makes the CST744SG Drake with CEFIONTECT. It stays cleaner than the standard glaze.
Standard height elongated.

I've been seeing tank to bowl bolts from American Standard that are rusting and causing rust streaking in the bowls.
TOTO bolts are brass. No problem with theirs.

Elsa Waller

Reaction score
[QUOTE="jadnashua, post: 504409, member: 24"
Depending on how exact your rough-in location is, you might still have room enough for a toilet with a skirt. You may need an offset shower valve (Dahl makes a nice one). Terry would have a better idea of what exactly might fit, but first, you need to measure your rough-in (to the toilet flange bolts from the back wall (not the baseboard).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this suggestion. I had not thought of an offset for the valve. This would expand the choices.

Elsa Waller

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The Drake appears to be 1.6 gals. The Eco-Drake that we have works fine so I think I may just buy a new bowl unit with CEFIONTECT, as the prior one did not have it. My other option would be the Eco-Ultramax but I don't see much difference between it and the Eco-Drake. My final option is to try and find a place with a lot of American Standards, so I can check the glazing before I get it home. We don't have hard water but the design of the Eco-Drake makes it hard to clean with a standard brush. I'm now using wand that can fit in more areas.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ultramax is one-piece, and Drake is 2-piece.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks