What to Do Once Major Salt Bridging Occurs

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a customer that has a Kenmore Elite Water Softener. The whole brine tank is a solid block of salt. From top to bottom. What is the best way to remove the salt, or should I just install a new water softener?

A combination of hot water and judicious chipping will remove it but its a POS Kenmore. If you can sell him a new unit, you should. And not another Kenmore, whirlpool or GE

Reach4

Reaction score
I think I might try increasing the brine refill to the max for a while, to see if that either washes out the salt bridge, or at least removes a lot of the salt making the hammer and chisel able to break through later.

I cleaned out my impacted salt mass in my separate brine tank several months ago. I am glad I was not paying myself by the hour. Salt is heavy. I am thinking I had 200 pounds of salt in there. I wish I had thought of trying raising the brine level to max. I did not have a salt bridge as it turns out. I feel the salt was there for many many years. The salt was fairly dirty, so maybe I was better off removing that salt. Having a separate brine tank helped. I did not have a salt grid or anything besides a plain tube; the old Autotrol has its air check as part of the controller.

I now add less salt, and keep the water level partially visible.

Will Rogers Plumbing

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.willrogersplumbing.com
019.jpg

Wish I had a better shot, but that is what I got. The whole brine tank is a solid block of salt. It's in a basement, so maybe it is from high humidity, but also from overloading with salt. I'm planing of taking it out and installing a Fleck 5600SXT

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Just keep adding salt LOL A perfect example of how little folks know about their equipment. Why would you keep adding salt if the salt ain't going down? I know, its because the guy that installed it told them to add a bag every two weeks LOL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks