What the heck is this!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Beave945

Reaction score
20180217_205621.jpg
20180217_205646.jpg

Every week I have to pull apart our kitchen sink faucet and clean the aerators. We are on a well. Recently installed a tankless water heater. All galvanized water pipes, but I have repiped half of the house so far to copper. All copper to galvanized pipes have a dielectric union. No other water fixtures have this problem. Cleaned the water heater thinking it would help but it didn't. We tested the well about 2 years ago and it passed inspection when we bought the house. This problem just started a few weeks ago, shortly after installing the water heater. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know what it is. If you try to burn it and it burns or melts, it is probably plastic. If it does not, I would be thinking calcium or other mineral deposits.

Beave945

Reaction score
Its not hard or grainy like calcium or mineral deposits. Its slimy. And it can't push through the aerator, I have to turn it around and rinse it off to get it to come off.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
View attachment 44804 View attachment 44805 Every week I have to pull apart our kitchen sink faucet and clean the aerators. We are on a well. Recently installed a tankless water heater. All galvanized water pipes, but I have repiped half of the house so far to copper. All copper to galvanized pipes have a dielectric union. No other water fixtures have this problem. Cleaned the water heater thinking it would help but it didn't. We tested the well about 2 years ago and it passed inspection when we bought the house. This problem just started a few weeks ago, shortly after installing the water heater. Any help is appreciated.

It's bacteria. It's a matrix type microorganism that eats iron. In the plumbing industry we hear this all the time when we have homeowners who have stinky "rotten egg" water. They tell us they had their well tested. Yes. You have your well tested. They DID NOT do a full spectrum analysis of your water. They tested it for pathogens that will MAKE YOU SICK. Getting your well water tested is NOT a full spectrum test and they don't even look at all the other non-health/safety/potability-components of your drinking water. So yes. You have HARMLESS bacteria in your well water. And because its a matrix type microorganism, you can't easily treat it. And if you treat it, it will come back. You're going to need to install a chlorine injection system if you want the HARMLESS slime gone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beave945

Reaction score
Would replacing all of the galvanized pipes to copper, including the well, and then treating the well fix the problem? Or is this something that will never go away now?

Reach4

Reaction score
I think a good sanitizing should be able to kill any such stuff off.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Would replacing all of the galvanized pipes to copper, including the well, and then treating the well fix the problem? Or is this something that will never go away now?

the less iron the better. But remember, there is PLENTY of iron in the soil and groundwater. Getting rid of iron pipe and going with rolled well pipe and shocking the well would probably help. But I personally think the problem would come back. More than likely a chlorine injection system or a UV sterilizer is going to be your best bet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks