What temp should I set re summer Vs Winter

Users who are viewing this thread

Bigal41

Reaction score
H/W hybrid is being added to my oil boiler furnace, a Slantfin model L-30PT. My question is regarding the high low temp setting and what should they be set at. Note I have baseboard hot water heat for the house .....the Hybrid will take care of my domestic supply side. I was just told by a plumber who came to give me a quote on installation of W/H that I could lower temp on the controller in summer to like 130 h and 120 low. does this sound good? Also he said that in the winter I can go back to 140 H and 130L and ALSO I SHOULD FEED my Hybrid ( in the winter only ) from the old in furnace coil thru a bypass he'll install .. he said you might as well use the heat from the furnace to pre heat the input ( cold ) water side of the Hybrid as I will be using the furnace to heat my baseboards to save even more money. Guys does any of this make any sense to you 'all

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The higher the storage temperature in the tank, the more 'effective' hot water you will have. If you don't run out of hot water, you can set it to those temperatures. Also, in the winter, the incoming cold water supply is typically lots colder, so the tank has to heat it a lot more, so higher temps in the tank will again, help to make it look like a bigger tank. Depending on the boiler you have, and how it is plumbed, lower temperatures in it can make for lots of condensation. If it is not designed for that, it can rust out the boiler and possibly the chimney quite quickly.

Using the boiler's heating coil as a preheater isn't necessarily a bad idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks