What solvent/cleaner to remove duct tape adhesive from acrylic tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
I foolishly used duct tape to secure a drop cloth while installing mud walls in my tub alcove. The tape left some adhesive goo. What solvent or cleaner can I used that won't damage the acrylic finish?

I'm a big fan of Goof-Off, but this is the chemical xylene, which I think is a solvent for acrylic and would damage the tub. In my arsenal I also have mineral spirits, turpentine and acetone. HD/Lowe's is not far so I can run out and get something else if needed.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Goo Gone. Citris-based and won't harm the finish.

Attachments

• Goo Gone.jpg
    Goo Gone.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 7,718

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
My favorite solvent cleaner is Zippo lighter fluid...( the yellow plastic bottle.) I keep several around the house and the truck.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks jimbo. I looked it up and seems like lighter fluid is naptha. Will it damage the acrylic tub finish? Something else to add to my selection of solvents.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The goo gone and the Zippo are safe for most surfaces, including most plastics and finished wood surfaces. NOT true for acetone!

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
I use my wife's nail polish remover (acetone) on surfaces that I don't care about, but I also use Goo Gone and Oops!, which are basically similar citrus-based stuff, for tub/shower and sink surfaces.
Goo Gone will even instantly remove clear silicone caulk off of your hands better than gasoline, which is what I used to use years ago.
That stuff is amazing.
Mike

Jackie07

Reaction score
Cooking oil will break down adhesives and allow them to be removed from a surface without harming it so long as it is a non-porous surface.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Lighter fluid works good used it for years helps finish out silicon caulk.Will not harm any surface.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks