What size pipe is this?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by kubstix, Oct 12, 2018.

1. kubstix

kubstix Member

So to give a quick background. I am having my garage concrete flour redone and have a sewage basin in the right hand corner for my downstairs bathroom. I am replacing this cast iron basin with a plastic so I am doing some prepping. I am also remodeling my basement at the same time. I was heart broken when I saw what appears to be a 2" PVC pipe for my downstairs toilet. It's about a 6 foot run from toilet to basin. I am ready to take out he jackhammer, but I don't want to do unnecessary work. The toilet flange is an outside toilet flange. I think this pipe is 2", but I want to be sure. House is from the late 70's. I can clean up the flange a bit, but it appears to say Genova "Thin Wall". Thank You.

Attached Files:

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

That is a closet flange -- thing you normally mount a toilet to.

It might be inserted into a 3 inch pipe or a 3 inch elbow. Can't tell.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US3846851 is the patent number on the plastic.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. kubstix

kubstix Member

It is the type of flange that goes over the outside of the pipe. You can vaguely see the outline of the top of the pipe going around. I just don't really know what to think about this. Back in the 70's did they make toilet flanges for 2" PVC?

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

It is not that. 2 inch PVC is just a tad bigger ID than 2 inches. The throat on that thing that I think is part of the closet flange is a little under 2.5 inches.

As I look into your picture, it seems that the path may widen out a few inches down, no? If you shine a flashlight down there, what do you see? Maybe insert a small flashlight deep inside and take a non-flash picture.

6. kubstix

kubstix Member

I will try to get a better idea when I get home from work. I am concerned because theoretically the measurement of the pipe starts about 5/16 on the tape measure and ends about 2 3/4. So this pipe measures 2 7/16 give or take a tiny bit off. I cannot believe this, but it appears these builders used 2 1/2 PVC for toilet drain

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018