What size drain pipe do I need?

Users who are viewing this thread

38ppBBia

Reaction score
I have a kitchen and bathroom that share a wall. When I opened it up I found 1.25" drains in the wall (both the kitchen sink and bathroom sink use the same drain. Should I bump this up to 1.5" or 2" before it hits the main drain pipe? Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The kitchen sink needs 2" and a 2" cleanout.
The trap and the vent can be 1.5"

sink_dw.jpg

38ppBBia

Reaction score
The kitchen sink needs 2" and a 2" cleanout.
The trap and the vent can be 1.5"

sink_dw.jpg

There is currently no clean out, and thererreally isn't a spot to put one, unless it's on the horizontal drain going to the main stack (this also includes the bathroom sink). Would this work?

38ppBBia

Reaction score
A cleanout on the horizontal is often done.

Ok, thank you for explaining. Just so I'm clear on my situation, the horizontal drain coming from the wall goes between joists in the basement ceiling, so I can't put the cleanout facing up. Should I put it sideways or facing down? Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm a little confused, but they do want a cleanout that is accessed in the sink cabinet. Is your p-trap in the cabinet? Or below the floor? Gee, I hope not.

Reach4

Reaction score
Just so I'm clear on my situation, the horizontal drain coming from the wall goes between joists in the basement ceiling, so I can't put the cleanout facing up.
It is not clear how a horizontal drain can come from the wall. Consider adding a sketch. Maybe you mean the vertical pipe below the sanitary tee turns horizontal in the basement? The turn from vertical to horizontal is the common place for a kitchen drain line to clog. That needs to be a long sweep elbow or two 45s unless you are adding in a cleanout there with a combo.
p501-020-3.jpg

Should I put it sideways or facing down?
I think a cleanout needs to be accessible and usable. I am not a plumber.

38ppBBia

Reaction score
I'm not explaining well. I can create a diagram later. Could I just do a 2" p-trap with a cleanout in the p-trap?

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm not explaining well. I can create a diagram later. Could I just do a 2" p-trap with a cleanout in the p-trap?
I think that if you use a slip p-trap, that can be disassembled to provide a cleanout. So a little cleanout plug at the bottom of the trap doesn't really provide anything useful I think.
traps-c4884hd112-64_145.jpg
I don't think it is a good idea to use a glued p-trap in a home kitchen.

38ppBBia

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. This should better illustrate what I'm trying to figure out. Basically, there's no room in the wall for a cleanout, and the horizontal run is up against the joists.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 423
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks