What size cast-iron pipe is this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave Simson

Reaction score
I volunteered (silly me...) to replace the plumbing in the bathrooms of a small pool club I belong to. Basically, there are two bathrooms back-to-back with all the plumbing in the partition wall between them. After removing the partition wall (and the rats living inside it!) I am confronted with the following odd situation for the sink drains...

Both sinks' brass P-traps (which have corroded and cracked) are jammed into a cast-iron double-tee (or perhaps double-wye) which is leaded directly into a hubbed cast-iron pipe which goes into the concrete floor. The double-T is vented using 2" galvanized steel (leaded into the top of it), which rises, goes through two 1/8-bend CI fittings, and then connects to the soil stack.

I cannot get the traps out of the CI double-T. They're jammed, rusted, corroded, etc after 50 years. So I figured I'd cut off the CI pipe below the hub, cut off the steel vent pipe, and replace that section with PVC.

I can get a 2 x 2 x 1.5 x 1.5 PVC double-T, (the 2's are for the vent and drain, the 1.5's are to the traps) and an appropriate 2x2 banded coupling to connect in to the old vent using 2" PVC.

The problem is the size of the hubbed pipe going into the concrete. It appears to have an outside diameter of about 2 1/2", and a circumference of 8". This puts it smack between 2" and 3" CI sizes, and I can't seem to find a coupling that will fit it.

Anyone encountered this size of pipe before, and/or have a suggestion of what sort of transition coupling to use? The plumbing dates circa-1955/1956.

Thanks!
Dave

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks