What size breaker 230V window AC unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

AZgunslinger

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase a 230V window a/c unit and I'm confused what size breaker I need.
This is the specs from the unit:

• Amps (Cool): 10.8/11.8
  • Plug Type: LCDI 6-20P
  • Horsepower (Cool): 3.25
  • Voltage Rating: 230V / 208V 60Hz
  • Power Cord Length: 5' (6')
  • Watts (Cool): 2425/ 239
The "10.8/11.8 amps" surely means per leg and 23.6 in total?
So my main question is do I need a 2 pole 15amp breaker or do I need a 2 pole 30amp breaker?

The outlet for the AC unit will be from a sub panel that's fed from my main panel 80 feet away and wired with 10 AWG copper. Do I use same size breaker in the main.

Reach4

Reaction score
So my main question is do I need a 2 pole 15amp breaker
I think you need a a 2-pole 20 amp breaker, run with 12 gauge wire feeding the NEMA 6-20 amp socket that that plug plugs into.

Probably a 15 amp breaker would carry the load.

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
6-20P is a 20 amp plug that would go into a 20 amp receptacle. That needs to be on a 20 amp breaker. Then as Reach4 stated, 12 gauge wire is all that is needed. 12-2 w/ground

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The breaker requirement is only dictated by the wire size. If you have to run a new line always use 12 gauge 20 amp as a minimum for a 220v circuit.

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
"10.8/11.8 amps" means that the unit will draw different amperage depending on the voltage supplied. As the other line states it will operate on 230 or 208 ("normal" residential is 240 which is correct for 230 device).

WorthFlorida - Since this is a 240v load without a neutral the amperage will be the same for both legs.

Yes, you can technically put a double pole 15amp breaker on this as it would be a single receptacle on an individual branch circuit (nothing else on the same breaker). However standard practice is to upside the wire size to 12 gauge and breaker to 20 amps to allow for the a/c to be swapped with a bigger unit in the future.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The thing has a 20A plug on it...run a 20A circuit to be proper. Using the 80% rule, it would be very close to a 15A circuit, which is probably why they chose a 20A one in case you had a brownout, and the current rose above the nominal values when ideal. To get the same power, when the voltage drops, the current rises.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks