What should I expect next with my new well installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Still waiting for the call from the well drillers to finish the well that they have started.

At this point Ive got 2 holes in the ground approx 5 foot apart from one another. One approx 128 feet with a broken bit and 30 feet of drill rod down in it and the other 158 feet of casing and seemingly good water.

I had considered using the first well for something but people have warned me that I need to have the well sealed properly and abandoned in fear of contamination of my good well.

How should I expect them to seal this first well? Is it ok that they leave their equipment down in the hole, ( that is their plan ) Im concerned with all that steel contaminating my seemingly good well only a few feet away. The well with the broken equipment in it has approx 40 feet of water in it but as far as I know the casing is only sitting in sand.

I havent a way of testing its recovery rate since I do not have a pump to use at this point.

Secondly when they come out to finish the installation of the good well should they be disinfecting the well? Is that something I need to do? Is there anything else I should be expecting them to do?

Not sure why its taking this amount of time to finish this job, when I had a well put in on my other property it was all done all at the same time.

I also had to have the water tested on my other property years ago, the county guy came out, got a sample, tested it on the spot and said good to go, no mention of having this well tested by anyone.

I am in a different county but I would have thought it would still need testing?

Should I expect them to install a safety rope? If they dont should I insist?

They are gonna do the minimal Im sure cause thats whats done these days. I want to be sure that whats done is done as best as possible.

Thanks

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Well your driller is having hell if he broke off down hole, which is why it is taking so long. Yes the bad well should be sealed properly, which will cut it off from O2 and shouldn't rust enough to effect the nearby well. Sealing properly means running a trimmy pipe to the bottom, pumping in cement until it comes to the surface, and pull the trimmy pipe out quickly.

Some states require disinfecting the well. But that is usually when the pump is installed.

A water sample is your choice. But a good idea AFTER you get the well at least partially developed.

A rope is just something to fall or break and wedge your pump in the hole like that broken drill bit. Just use double jacketed wire and don't let the pump cycle too much (see Cycle Stop Valves) and you won't need a rope, torque arrestors, standoffs, or anything else that could cause problems later.

Reaction score
Whats your opinion on the pressure I felt when unscrewing the cap from the derelict well? Is that typical?

BTW they didnt even bat an eye on losing the equipment, they dont have to pay for it Im sure, even joked around about whos fault it was. Im sure that has nothing to do with any delay

Reaction score
The company AKA the people that the drillers onsite that day work for.

Possibly you were being rightfully sarcastic in stating that know one gives a damn anymore

Reach4

Reaction score
The company AKA the people that the drillers onsite that day work for.

Possibly you were being rightfully sarcastic in stating that know one gives a damn anymore
I was not being sarcastic. I am glad that the answer is not you.

Reaction score
Sarcastic would have been ok though too cause in this day its well deserved too many

It could have been me, I was lucky, it is clear in my contract that if just about for any reason a well has too be abandoned and a new hole drilled homeowner is on the hook for the casing at a minimum. Im lucky cause this was clearly a situation that I cant be held accountable for

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am sure the owner wasn't happy about leaving several thousand dollars worth of tools down the hole and losing a days work. But I have had employees crash, break, or lose things and just laugh about it. The days of being able to hire a farm boy who knows how to do a few things and actually cares about his job are long gone. You just can't get good help anymore, especially for a difficult job like drilling and pump work. If they can't get the job done by punching a few buttons on their phone then it is too hard of a job and they quit. It is best to use a small company who's owner is running the truck or at least on location working. It is not for sure but at least that way you might have someone who gives a damn.

Pressure under a well cap is normal. Negative pressure if the water level has dropped, and positive pressure if the water level came up.

Reaction score
Your right and thanks for the info. They did call today and Ive got it set up that they will come back out the end of next week and install the pump ect. They told me that they dont use poly cause it cracks, they also told me some other things that are contradictory to what Ive read but not worth getting it.

At this point Im just going with whats in the contract and that means galvanized. I can change it myself later if and when the pumps gives out. I have a tractor, Im sure I can rig something up myself to pull the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks