What pump do I need to supply house?

Users who are viewing this thread

Matthew Edmonds

Reaction score
the community I live in is currently and for the foreseeable near future does not have a water supply due to flooding. so as a temporary situation I have a 500 gallon tank that i was just carrying water into the house and living out of gallon jugs and buckets but I want to try to hook this tank up to my house with a pump so I don't have to carry water.

My plan is to turn off the water from the main line coming into my house and hook the tank up to my outside water nozzle to back feed into my house. the tank will be below my house but next to my house. maybe a 20 ft hose from the tank to the house. all the plumbing is on the 1st story level. hot water heater in the basement. I'm having a problem figuring out what kind of pump I need for this project. its a temporary situation 1 maybe 2 months. I think I need a jet pump that auto turns off but do I need a pressure tank to go with it for this short term application? any help would be great? with this being a temporary thing I'm hoping for as simple and as cheap as possible I just don't want to screw anything up in my house and I cant afford to spend a bunch of money.

Thanks in advance

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have the exact setup you need plumbed to a 1000 gallon tank. I use it when a customer is out of water and it will take a day or two (or more) to get their pump working again.

I use a 1/2 hp shallow well jet pump with a cycle stop valve. The 1/2 hp pump is wired 120volts, and is wired with a cord and plug. With demand, the pump turns on and runs continually as long as at least 1 gallon per minute is used. The pump shuts off when no more after is demanded. I use a pressure switch with the low pressure cutout lever. When the tank is empty, the pump drops pressure and the low pressure cutout keeps it from running.

Another contractor has this setup with a 500 gallon tank in an insulated enclosed trailer. It has a heater in the trailer and an insulated hose with heat tape for winter use,

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I fill the trailer from a city water supply with a verifiable chorine residual. This is a requirement in my state when hauling and supplying water. I have to record the residual chlorine level in any water delivery. Regulated by the Dept of Health for potable water deliveries.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks