What pitless adapter is this on old well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chikafreak

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an old irrigation well on my, new to me, property that has not ran for sometime. Power is going to all the right places so my next step was to look at the pump. I got the cap off and this pitless adapter doesn't look like anything else I have seen online. Has anyone seen this before and knows how to uncouple it? I don't want to just start messing around and drop something! Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210512_171152.jpg
    20210512_171152.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 344

Reach4

Reaction score
There may be a female pipe thread down there, and debris accumulated inside of that. I don't recognize that unit.

Today a pitless that you pull would commonly be a 1 inch NPT thread, but yours may be a different size. You stick a threaded steel pipe and turn CW to engage threads. Then you lift with lots of force.

Chikafreak

Reaction score
There may be a female pipe thread down there, and debris accumulated inside of that. I don't recognize that unit.

Today a pitless that you pull would commonly be a 1 inch NPT thread, but yours may be a different size. You stick a threaded steel pipe and turn CW to engage threads. Then you lift with lots of force.

Thanks, that's the direction I was headed. I just don't like the look of that plate that seems to go across the entire circumference of the pipe. I don't know how it's supported underneath.

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
It may not be supported at all underneath. Your photo doesn't give me much to work with even if I make it super huge. Can you measure the well casing and then tell me how far down that nice large circle is from the top of the casing? It looks like a recepticle for a 1 inch female NPT female thread, but I would hate to be wrong.
The pitless can be carrying the weight of the pump and the pipe to the pump that could be metal or plastic. If you do get a 1 inch npt to thread into the top of what i think i am seeing, make sure you have as many turns possible because you could drop the pump down towards China if you dont have good grip on what the other side of that pitless holds. I guess in other words, what else do you know about this well? Depth? Width? How far down from ground level is the pitless? Age? Maybe you would lasso it with rope before trying to break it loose, I know of horror stories of other peeps trying to recover a lost pump. That pitless may hold the whole pump assembly from going to the bottom of your well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks