What Manufacturer has the Best Sump Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

rdgallo

Reaction score
I just moved into a new house about 2 months ago. It has a sump pump system and I have never lived in a house with a sump system. I don't know what kind of pump it has, but do know that it has a Zoeller 12 volt battery back up pump installed. The couple that sold us the house had just had the basement finished
(drywall, carpeting, etc) and had the back up pump installed at the same time. Since I have lived here we experienced one record rainfall. The house held up and remained dry. However, the main sump pump got one heck of a work out. I would like to have a really good sump pump on the shelf as a backup just in case I have a pump failure. I do not know the size if the pump I have now but do know I live in a high water table area and the soil is clay like. The house is about 2000 sq. ft. Can someone tell me what size pump I should purchase (1/2 hp etc) and from what manufacturer?
Thanks for any assistance you provide.
Ron

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The ideal system given your risk would be a main pump, an installed secondary ( backup ) pump, and the battery backup. The main pump will do most of the work, and should be the first to fail. You still have the secondary, and the battery job. A further abundance of caution would be to have ANOTHER pump on the shelf, all flanged up or whatever, ready for instant replacement of either the primary or secondary.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
install another Zoeller

The zoeller is a good pump, the problem with them is the
built in switch....

the pump will literaly run forever, but when the shitty switch that cannot be easily changed fails , then you are in trouble..

The Zoeller backup battery pump is either their top of the line or their more crummey "competitive" model...it probably will not keep up in a massive downpour.

if you have an Aquanot ll then you are probably ok, but you still have to make sure that the battery is maintained and in good working order...

you have not said which models of pumps you have

http://www.weilhammerplumbing.com/sumppumps/

Last edited:

rdgallo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, all. The Zoeller back up pump (according to the paperwork left by the previous owner is a Basement Sentry Series by Zoeller Model 507. That is all I know until I look into the sump pit later on.
Thanks again,
Ron

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The problem with the Basement Sentry model #507 is that when you throw a 10' head pressure(not uncommon in most basements) the capacity drops down to about 15 GPM. A typical 1/3 HP main pump Probably does about 30-35 GPM.
Can the backup keep up?

Last edited:

rdgallo

Reaction score
I doubt that it could keep up. JImbo, can you give me a better (one that even I might understand) explanation of how to do the two pump with backup thing? or would I be better off having one of those water powered back up pumps. I am trying to picture how you get two normal sized pumps in the same hole, how one float level would be set differently than the other, etc. Any help you can provide would be great. Also, if you have a plumber recommendation for the Morton, Illinois area, that would be great too. Seems like most plumbers around here have better things to do than call you back when you leave messages.
Thanks,
Ron

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks