What makes an LP gas grill "convertable" to natural gas?

Users who are viewing this thread

HandyGary

Reaction score
Why can't I take any, non specific LP gas grill and convert it to burn natural gas with only an orifice change?

Thank you for any ideas, advice.

Gary

Gsmith22

Reaction score
i think you can do that as far as I am aware. Moved from a house with natural gas to one with LP (propane) and converted my clothes dryer from natural gas to propane with just an orifice change. My mom has an outdoor grill hooked up to her house's natural gas supply and not propane - again just an orifice change as grill was sold to use small LP can. Company that makes the dryer, grill, etc. would need to sell the appropriate orifice but otherwise I don't see why you can't do the switch.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess that would be a good question for your grill manufacture. I would say just because you can make something work might not mean you should. especialy with fire inside your home and against manufacture recomendation .

Gsmith22

Reaction score
Some LP grills are sold saying "not convertable to natural gas."
then don't buy that grill if you want one that is convertible. I have converted both Maytag and LG dryers back and forth between natural gas and propane and I have converted Weber grills back and forth. Can't speak to any other brand specifics but those brands only required an orifice change and the different orifice was available from the maker

Plant.One

Just here for the Beer.
Reaction score
Some LP grills are sold saying "not convertable to natural gas."
that probably means the oriface is just not replaceable - they probably drilled the oriface port into a solid assembly. save $ manufacturing vs having to thread a port for switchable orifices to attach to.

HandyGary

Reaction score
I've done the conversion before with no problems. (LP to NG)

Recently I bought a grill that suited me perfectly. I'll include a photo of it. It had an all-aluminum body, thermometer, two burners, (I want indirect cooking for slow cook and the addition of some smoke wood.) The jets were removable, it was lightweight and was a table top style with flame reflectors and a one piece solid cast iron grill. Just what I wanted for my safe outdoor patio that is stucco walled and ceramic tile floor with no obstructions to fresh air, a ceramic topped table; also a water hose is right there.

I read the size on the jets and used a few internet charts to determine what size I needed. I had a drill on hand that was very close, so I drilled them.

The flames were beautiful, blue, with layers in them. The valves when turned to minimum wouldn't stay lit, so I established my new minimum setting. I was suspicious, but there were no yellow in the flames at any setting.

The problem was that they were so hot that I could never close the top or get a moderate heat. On the lowest setting with the lid closed the thermometer woulds soar to about 400ºF. I crossed checked the heat reading with another thermometer of known accuracy.

Where do you fellows think I may have gone wrong? Thank you for your replies so far and for the ones yet to come.

Gary

Features:
13,500 total BTU (2 x 6,750 BTU each burner)
262 Square Inches Total Grilling Area
Reliable Push-and-Turn Ignition
Heavy Duty Cast Aluminum Lid and Firebox
Uses Propane Gas. Tank Not Included

Attachments

• BBQgrill.jpg
    BBQgrill.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Plant.One

Just here for the Beer.
Reaction score
Close and the same are not equal. Fuel air mixtures need to be precise. That means the oriface size needs to be precise. Not close. Precise.

Even being off by a few thousandths in diameter could be enough % wise to not be functional anymore - especially at minimum delivery levels where the fuel side is going to be the weak point.

Likewise - if you wobble the hole while drilling... you can also unintentionally make things worse.

That's also only one part of the process. From what I can read the propane regulator also has to go as well.

As others have noted - you need to get ahold of someone at the mfg and talk to them about the process and what parts are needed to properly convert their product- if it's engineered to accommodate that kinda thing.

HandyGary

Reaction score
that probably means the oriface is just not replaceable - they probably drilled the oriface port into a solid assembly. save $ manufacturing vs having to thread a port for switchable orifices to attach to.
Not in my case, orifice was replaceable. I gave a description of my problem above. Thanks for the idea.

Last edited:

HandyGary

Reaction score
i think you can do that as far as I am aware. Moved from a house with natural gas to one with LP (propane) and converted my clothes dryer from natural gas to propane with just an orifice change. My mom has an outdoor grill hooked up to her house's natural gas supply and not propane - again just an orifice change as grill was sold to use small LP can. Company that makes the dryer, grill, etc. would need to sell the appropriate orifice but otherwise I don't see why you can't do the switch.
I was success ful before but this time not. See my case avove.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks