What kind of toilet connector is this, and how to get it off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lisa Henson

Reaction score
We're trying to replace a toilet. Got a new connector because the old one was just that much too short. My husband tried to take the old one off, and couldn't get it disconnected from the cutoff valve (which is plastic). He said it's like a hose clamp, but with no screws. It looks like this:

ws-20-912-terrylove-2.jpg

How do we get that apart to put on a new connector and cutoff valve? Is it glued? Heat sealed? Do we just have to cut it off? And if we do, how do we get the cutoff valve off the water supply line coming out of the floor without tearing it up?

Thanks for any insight y'all can offer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We can't see your pictures, but sometimes it involves replacing the shutoff at the wall.
Most plumbers are using 3/8" comp x 7/8" supply lines. 16" long is a safe bet.

You can also post pictures here using "other options" and 800 pixels or less.

shutoff_corragated_replace.jpg

The one on the left was a one-piece corrugated stop and supply.
The one on the right is a new 1/4 turn shutoff with a flexible supply line that threads onto the stop.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If that is a rigid chrome-plated copper riser (supply line), I think you will have to cut it in two to get the old one off.
If something else, then this does not apply.

Lisa Henson

Reaction score
Bother about the pictures.

We figured it out. It was a PEX, apparently unique to mobile home plumbing. Got it cut off below the valve, new shark bite, new cutoff valve, new connector hose, and we are good to go. Thanks, y'all, for your input, even though I'm a doofus who apparently can't post pictures. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks