What Kind of Plumbing Pipes Are These?

Users who are viewing this thread

jinx

Reaction score
I want to hook up a RO ,but this is what is under my kitchen sink. I have no idea of what kind of fittings to use to hook it up and the directions for the RO are not helpful.

100_0191.jpg

100_0192.jpg

100_0190.jpg

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
PEX, and be careful with it.

Are those flex supplies one piece to the valves....the ones leading to the faucet.......?

If they are not, then you could possibly put a add-a-valve to that equation without buying expensive crimpers and pray the rented ones are calibrated correctly.

Otherwise it's call a plumber time, or get sharkbites and make up a tee connection to feed the RO system. You'll have trouble finding something to bring you down to 1/4" though in regards to sharkbites.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes as Rugged said you have PEX water piping.

If it were me I would change the plastic supply lines going to the faucets and dishwasher and isc maaker if you have that, and replace them with braided stainless steel. Be sure you don't kink them, get longer lines than needed and loop them.

Unless you are ready to buy a $100.00 tool, fittings @ about $3.00 ea., a bag of crimp rings, maybe a length of PEX to do the work, a crimp ring spliter @$30.00, and practice so you know you have done it right so you don't flood your home, you may want to call a plumber. Be sure to ask if they work on PEX. Some don't.

jinx

Reaction score
Is this what is underneath also? How can I replace with braided lines?

Construct30

Reaction score
The PEX is fine, the red and white plastic lines, he is talking about the supply lines to the faucet and dishwasher, the plastic lines after the nut. They are the braided plastic, the stainless steel braided supply lines are better. If they are not leaking yours will be fine unless you mess with them, at which time have them chainged to the stainless steel braided supplies.

It will be cheaper for you to hire a plumber to tap into the pex lines to add something than to buy the proper tools to do such a small job.

Any snap on style or compression fitting will cause you more trouble than it is worth.

GMrules

Reaction score
ACE rents the pex CRIMPER here in NC

10 bucks a day, I used it today for first time fairly easy, on thing

make sure your around the ring and centered in the tool and the tool is 90 degrees to the ping to get even crimp

if u mess up cut off and go again no way to remove or resue the fitting

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I saved the center picture, tried to blow up the image to see if there are 3/8" compression nuts to those vinyl faucet supplies.

It appears they are not and are made into the valve.

Somebody do the same as me and see if that's a 3/8" removable compression nut.

To me it starts off as a crimp from the go.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
RUGGED, I looked at them and I think your right and the dishwasher supply line looks like a backwards toilet supply.

I don't know how to enlarge it.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
About the only thing we can bet on is the 3/8" threaded connection at the faucet. He could reroute and adapt the flexible hose to the input side of the RO unit, then run the RO output to the sink with conventional plumbing. Doesn't look too difficult.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I recently had a customer who was hooking up an RO filter just like you... He tried using a saddle valve on the PEX! cangratulations on not falling into that it was not pretty!:eek:

Last edited:

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
I did a save and enlarge on the center picture and I could not see any kind of threaded connection on the sink faucet lines.

Then again, my eyesight is not what it was forty years ago and the picture also lost definition in the enlargement.

I wouldn't trust the calibration of any PEX crimper that I was able to rent. I agree that a plumber / pipefitter trained and experienced in PEX be used to install valves with standard threaded outlets.

jinx

Reaction score
I appreciate the responses. I'm still mulling this over. I hate to give in and call a plumber. A guy that does maintenance for the mobile home company that I bought from said that I don't need a plumber. He said that Home Depot has everything I need and it wouldn't cost all that much. I happened to be at HD for something else and went over to plumbing. The lady seemed to be very knowledgeable about this pex plumbing and said to use "shark" fittings. What are your thoughts on this?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like the white supply pipe coming through the flloor is PEX. It also looks like the braided line coming out of the valve to the faucet may be a male thread of some size. I can't imagine that they would connect that flex permanently to the valve.

If the valve is a standard pipe thread on the outlet side you should be able to disconnect the braided flex at the faucet; then unscrew the flex from the valve, using a wrench to hold the valve so you don't twist the PEX. It may be 1/4 or 3/8" male pipe thread. You can then put a brass tee to the valve (it would be nice if you could find one with a male run on one end) and continue on to the faucet with the flex line. Then put a valve on the branch of the tee to supply the RO unit. Connect the branch to the RO with another flex line similar to what goes to the faucet.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Why not just move the [hopefully] standard pipe threaded fitting from the sink to a tee, then one outlet of the tee to the sink, and the other to the RO? No need to disturb the PEX fittings on the valve, and all plumbing downstream of the tee is conventional. The outlet of the RO is presumably standard.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connection

Buy a 3/8" x 1/4" BrassCraft Add-A-Tee. Install it between the cold valve and its supply tube. Then connect the RO feed to it. You can also install a 1/4" valve in the RO feed if you wish to be able to turn it off separately. I seldom do so.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks