What kind of pipe transition do I need?

Users who are viewing this thread

JamieThompson

Reaction score
Apologies, but I couldn't think of a way to search for this. The gate valve in the pictured photo has gone bad and I need to replace it with another valve. I will probably use a ball valve and I know how to transition from the valve to the copper, but I can't tell a) what the black pipe is made of; and b) how to transition from it to the valve.

I know that I could take it apart and see but don't want to dismantle it and run the risk that what I need has to be special ordered or is no longer available?

Can anyone tell me what the black pipe is made of, and how to transition to the next piece? The only thing I can really see are the two hose clamps on the outside of the pipe.

This is the water main pipe that comes in from the outside of my house. The gate valve that I am replacing is just before the water meter.

val 2.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Looks like a hack job. The pipe is probably polyethylene, but hose clamps are not the proper connection. The fitting should be a barb fitting, with crimp clamp. Looks like a valve with a stub of copper soldered to it.

JamieThompson

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

According to my water authority, they own the curb cutoff and the meter, and I own everything in between. So the inside cutoff is my responsibility.

As to the barb, the big orange box sells two different styles: The more traditional barb: http://snipurl.com/21e0kmf and the "ridge" style: http://snipurl.com/21e0kv1. Any idea which would be better or preferable?

Also, the other threads seem to say that for PE pipe, you just heat it up and slip the barb in. Do I need any pipe dope or sealant on the barb?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks