What kind of paint/primer should I use in a shower/bath room?

Users who are viewing this thread

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Any 100% acrylic latex based paint will serve you well. You get what you pay for with paint, and $25/gal is an average starting point. You can get paint/primer in one material. If you're going over raw drywall/texture a cheaper primer coat can save addional finish coats, which saves a little money.

It used to be semi gloss/gloss latex, or oil based materials were recommended for damp/wet locations. Now, flat sheen paints are scrubbable, and tolerate bathroom/kitchen environments. I use at least a low sheen/eggshell so there's a little extra protection at the surface.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Also, finish color makes a difference. Darker colors are much harder to brush/roll, and keep from getting stripes, or visual defects. A good quality paint really makes a difference. This room has flat white on walls and ceiling. I used a low sheen black on the accent wall/trim. The dark color turned out perfectly even, after 3 coats. I usually add about 20% water to the paint, to thin it down so texture doesn't get washed out.

IMG_20130707_134108_884.jpg

The hardest paint job I've ever done was in my game room here in Vegas. Flat black on the ceiling. Took 7 coats to even out. Light from the windows showed everything. Last coat I had to run, and roll it all out before it flashed. That last coat was really thin at about 50% water. Color was already fine, but the material had to go on perfectly even to become seamless. Next time, I'd spray a task like that.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks