What kind of basement sink is this and how does it drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

ericgregoryhughes

Reaction score
Just bought a house with this bathroom in the basement. The toilet works great, the sink doesn't drain and I don't understand how it would without a pump. Is the pump just missing or is this some magical pumpless sink?

15865352946043540078910991483590.jpg
15865352453103607029281165916411.jpg
15865352048612538227644267829082.jpg
15865354080042651009277745426920.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Just bought a house with this bathroom in the basement. The toilet works great, the sink doesn't drain and I don't understand how it would without a pump. Is the pump just missing or is this some magical pumpless sink?
That is the drain hose from the lavatory in your second picture? If this ever "worked" I expect the black hose fed to a pump or pit. I also suspect that it was never proper. Follow the black hose.

Where does your sewer line exit the house, if you know. Is it through a side wall, or somewhere under the floor?

ericgregoryhughes

Reaction score
In the second picture the black line is a water supply line coming from the red shut off valve in the third picture. The large hose is the drain from the sink and the third hose, right most, runs up to the main pvc drain line. Plumbing for the house drains out the side of the house, gravity system. I didn't know if the water feed was supposed to start a siphon or something.

Reach4

Reaction score
It is possible that plastic tee piece is a venturi pump. It could be clogged up, or it could be working. Turn on that water, and see if the water in the sink drops. Be prepared to turn that water off in case the water starts going up.

So you have overhead sewers. Normally with that, you put in a roof-vented sealed grinder septic pit, and pump that up into the main sewer in a prescribed way. Then the septic pit gets fed by gravity

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like you have a pump up toilet. The sink should tie behind the toilet. There's probably a blockage somewhere along the line if your toilet is flushing ok.

ericgregoryhughes

Reaction score
Ok, I looked up venturi and I believe that is what it is. It's not clogged, but it may be partially clogged or dirty. I'll take it apart and see what's up. Right now it back flows into the sink.

To plumbs, it definitely doesn't tie into the toilet, I wish it did!

If I can't get it working I'll probably just switch to a tub sink with a pump under it.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Someone probably thought "it works with garden sprayers, why not with my sink?".
This is going into my list of Truly Egregious Hacks!

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
I think Reach is correct in that it is a venturi pump.

For a venturi pump to work, you need a high velocity fluid to create a vacuum in the pump, which then entrains another fluid. The high velocity fluid can be air or liquid.

From the looks of it, your water supply is that high velocity fluid. So to drain the sink, you need to open that red valve.

Looks like you toilet might work the same way. Is there a macerating pump behind that wall or a similar device to the sink? That grey handle on the wall does not appear to be a traditional flush mechanism but rather just a shut off valve of some kind also connected to the water supply and another venturi.

probably a good way of contaminating your water supply.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks