What is your preferred sink p-trap?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by temp945, Jan 13, 2021.

1. temp945

temp945 Member

Hi all,

I'm installing two new sinks. I ran new PVC pipe to both sink locations.

Now I'm deciding on which p-traps to install and am surprised at the wide variety that exist.

I know I could just pick one and it would be fine - but I'm curious what those with experience prefer.

Chromed brass vs. PVC? Cleanout vs. no cleanout? Compression fitting vs. glued fitting? School me!

Thanks for reading!

2. Mr tee

Mr tee In the Trades

If it is exposed I like a 17ga chrome tubular trap w/ brass nuts connected to a trap adapter at the wall, often it requires a deep flange to hide the adapter. 20ga traps are almost acceptable, 22ga are not. If you can't see it, a plastic tubular trap to a trap adapter is best. The heavier plastic glue traps have less tolerance, are harder to install and replace and have no real upside. If you need to run a snake and can't do it without pulling the trap it is much easier with a chrome or plastic tubular trap.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2021
    Helper Dave likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Helper Dave likes this.
  4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

In a cabinet? Polypropylene (usually white plastic, but sometimes black). Slip -- not glued. Trap adapter at the wall. Functional. Easy to clean or re-position. I am not a pro.

No cleanout.

5. temp945

temp945 Member

Well I'm glad I asked! My traps are going behind drawers in a cabinet and will not be visible.

I was considering either a sch-40 glued trap or a 17ga chrome with cleanout, just because these seemed like the most "deluxe" options.

I'm surprised to hear that you both prefer a regular plastic (polypropylene) trap, but your rationale does make sense.

I'm guessing just a cheapie polypropylene trap, like the one linked below is what you suggest?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Keeney-1-1-4-in-Plastic-P-Trap/1071571

PS: Reach - you are so much more of a pro than any of the local "pros" I have dealt with!

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

7. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

I think the sch40 plastic glue traps w threaded union no cleanout. are better, more rugged perhaps hold up better against all the junk people pile up under sinks.
    When I first started plumbing that was the only traps I used at the company I worked for . I seldom use them anymore , nobody seems to care its quicker going tubular, not that big a deal, but no question in my mind tubular cheaper and easier and a step below in quality but good enough.

8. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    As often as I'm pulling traps to get hair out of them, I prefer tubular. I've never understood why someone would glue a trap on a kitchen waste either. It makes more work for a plumber I guess, but then I'm a plumber and I don't want to bother with the extra work on my home every time I pull a trap.