What is this unsticking noise?

Users who are viewing this thread

suko

Reaction score
Hi, I believe I have a Pfister faucet, and I just recently replaced the Bathroom shower hot water faucet valve stem and seat. The stem (as u can see in the pic below) actually came with some kind of hard, white plastic washer or something, but I replaced that with an o-ring that was about the same size (not sure if that was a good idea or not).

Anyway, the problem (or at least I think it's a problem) is that, whenever I close the hot water, wait maybe 30 minutes or so, then immediately when I try to open the hot water, I hear a very quick "unsticking" noise, like the rubber washer was stuck to the seat or something and had to unstick itself. I find this weird since it does this even when the hot water valve is not tightly closed, but just lightly snug. Did I maybe tighten the screw that keeps the rubber washer to the stem too tightly, or maybe it's the o-ring that I'm using in place of that hard plastic washer? Or something else? And should I be worried about this noise?

Thanks guys! :)
459175ad-b1ea-4fe3-ae12-6f9eadf01742_400.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Replacing the plastic washer was not necessary, but also did nothing to cause the sound you hear. It is either a loose seat or loose washer, or possibly even a screw that came off previously and is caught in the valve body. WE cannot tell you the cause from here without feeling what is happening. As a side note, I NEVER replace those stems, but rather convert the valve to a "lifetime" seal system, which is not a DIY task.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks