What is this substance around the sink cutout in countertop?

Users who are viewing this thread

AlSailor

Reaction score
I am replacing a rusted bathroom sink. After removing the old sink, I see that there is some substance covering the edge of the sink cutout. What is it?

Thanks.

IMG_1276.JPG IMG_1279.JPG

BMWpowere36m3

Reaction score
Dried up plumbers putty, mastic, compound.... Does it really matter? Just seal the new sink with silicone.

AlSailor

Reaction score
So it's not necessary to coat that edge with anything? Just seal the sink with silicone caulk?

Sluggo

Reaction score
So it's not necessary to coat that edge with anything? Just seal the sink with silicone caulk?
No, it's not necessary. If the new sink has a lip that will sit on top of the existing counter all you need to do is put a bead of silicone on the top surface of the tile, set the sink in place and remove any squeeze out. No need to add non-functional glop to the area where you have the old residue. I have no idea why that old crap is there, but it wasn't necessary originally and it's not necessary now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks