What is this dripping pipe at the bottom of the soil stack?

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumboutofNecessity

Reaction score
At the bottom of the soil stack right before it goes horizontal, there is a 3/4" copper pipe screwed into it that is angled downward. Whenever any water is draining from upstairs (toilet, sink, shower, etc.), a steady stream of water pours out of this thing and goes underneath the plastic matting that covers the crawlspace. Essentially, this leaves a nasty exposed area that has a constant gathering of weird little flies.

This thing has evidently been here for years. The home inspector had no comment about it when I bought the house.

Does anyone know what the purpose of this thing is? Is this something that I can just cap and not worry about?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• leaking-pipe.jpg
    leaking-pipe.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 207

Reach4

Reaction score
The mystery pipe is less than 3 ft long and is open on the end? My first thought was that somebody put it in as a condensation drain or a sump pump drain. Your description seems to imply that it is short and open, however.

Sounds like something somebody put in to hide a clogged sewer.

Septic tank or city sewer? I would get your septic tank pumped or your city sewer cleaned out... plus repair that piping to get rid of that.

I would not expect a home inspector to find something like that. I am not a plumber or other pro.

PlumboutofNecessity

Reaction score
The mystery pipe is less than 3 ft long and is open on the end? My first thought was that somebody put it in as a condensation drain or a sump pump drain. Your description seems to imply that it is short and open, however.

Sounds like something somebody put in to hide a clogged sewer.

Septic tank or city sewer? I would get your septic tank pumped or your city sewer cleaned out... plus repair that piping to get rid of that.

I would not expect a home inspector to find something like that. I am not a plumber or other pro.

In the image, you can see it at the bottom. It sticks out of the stack a couple inches and then elbows down where it is open. City sewer. No issue with drainage (toilets/sinks upstairs seem fine). Toilets/sinks downstairs are also fine. But, as I said, whenever waste is flowing from above, a small trickle pours out of this spout.

Honestly, I'm quite disgusted with the home inspector. For reasons I cannot explain, I didn't go with what I have always preached; which is: "NEVER use an inspector that your real estate agent suggests."

Reach4

Reaction score
I would plug the hole if you can. There is no good reason to have something like that in place.

Watch your lowest drain for any signs of backup.

Reach4

Reaction score
As to how to plug, if there is no leak a the top of the copper, I might try to cut the pipe clean in a straight section lower, and use a SharkBite plug.

The cleaner way would seem to be to unscrew the copper, and screw in a plug. However that seems to me to be unlikely for that cast iron to have a proper thread in it.

PlumboutofNecessity

Reaction score
Everyone's feedback is greatly appreciated. I will cut it (not going to risk any threading issues by removing it) and SharkBite plug it.

I keep running into strange things like this that make no sense to me. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks