What is the purpose of liquid nails when sistering joists

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
What is the purpose of construction adhesive when sistering joists.
Hell, I just do it because....I do it.
There is no structural integrity gained when doing it.

Whether you screw it or nail it *another hot contested fastener debate in itself*, what do you gain by using any sorta construction adhesive when sistering joists.

JCH

Reaction score
I would think that the construction adhesive would make the wood-to-wood joint stiffer and prevent the joint from loosening over time (say if a strong live load were on the joists).

I know the BC Building Code states that only nails (not screws) are approved for use in attaching anything structural/load bearing. Probably because screws have to be made of a stiffer (and therefore more brittle) metal than nails. In an earthquake (BC is an earthquake zone), screws snap whereas nails bend.

My neighbour used deck screws to attach the wooden treads to his new porch steps and, within 2 weeks, 1/4 of the edge treads had screws that had snapped. He reattached them with nails and hasn't had any problems since.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A good glue, properly installed and set, bonds the two pieces together into one effective piece rather than two. Think of plywood or a glulam. Not all screws are created equal - the tensile strength, bending, and ductility varies all across the board, then you have the issue of quality control (some of those made in China are truly horrible). SS, while it may not corrode, depending on the alloy and processing, is relatively soft and weak compared to a typical construction nail.

Chefwong

Reaction score
FWIW, on screws, I am all GRK.
Spax is nice but I prefer the Torx head...
Spax is made in USA or Germany.

My GRK are coming out of Taiwan.
Favorites on GRK
R4 for framin Framing
Cabinet Screws and Trim Screws of Various Lengths
Their Caliburn Screws are badass. While it won't replace the Hilti Epox system...the caliburns are the ONLY concrete screw (non anchor) I use.

Shear or no shear....u should have seen the guys who were trying to remove my DIY stairs that was attached to wall stud framing..
Cursing like a mofo, as the 3" screws I used would not budge, the sawzalls were not cutting through it.

OUT comes the clamps when I'm sistering and using glue...
The construction adhesive does cause ~jacking~ --- even with the screws in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks