What is the name of this fitting? Kee spool

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by lstilts, Jan 21, 2014.

1. lstilts

lstilts New Member

This fitting serves the same purpose as the pitless adapter, but I can't find one online. It seals off the well casing when it is in place.

DSC00715.jpg

DSC00714.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  2. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

The round thing with the gaskets is called a spool

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. lstilts

lstilts New Member

Thanks, it seems to be an odd ball, I can't find any info on it.

5. lstilts

lstilts New Member

To answer my own question, This is the inside fitting of of a set called the Kee spool, turns out there is a man that is only a few miles from me that manufactures them. Who would've ever thought? Anyway, got the new fitting, pump, pressure switch, pulled the pump (100 feet) 3/4 hp, reinstalled all parts, up & running in about 24 hrs. not a bad day!

DSC00716.jpg DSC00717.jpg

6. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

"retired" and still building and troubleshooting
    How does that thing work as a pitless adapter? looks like the water outlet is at the top? got a link to this guys product?

And what is that black structure on the bottom of the pump motor?

7. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    The top is just where you attach the pull pipe. The water comes up from the bottom pipe and exits through the spool between the two rubber gaskets. These gaskets must seal in the casing above and below the water line discharge. When the o-ring gaskets are seated in the casing, the only place the water can discharge is out the discharge pipe between the two o-rings. I have never seen one but I think I can see how it works.

The black attachment on the bottom of the motor is most likely housing the starting capacitor for a 2 wire motor.

8. lstilts

lstilts New Member

It mates with the fitting that looks like the well casing, the water discharges out the side between the two O-rings into the tank buried in the ground. The black structure houses the lower bushing seal for the rotor shaft in the end next to the motor. The pump is a two wire Red Jacket Brand 3/4 hp pump. It doesn't have a capacitor in it. He doesn't have a website, but I like the design, it has been installed since 98, never had a minutes trouble out of it, next time I go to my supplier I'll take a pic of both parts of the set, but as said, the female part looks like a piece of 4" well casing. This is the pump I replaced it with. http://www.femyers.com/ResidentialProduct_my_ws_4s_rustler.aspx

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  9. Grizz444

Grizz444 New Member

I need that same part. Can't find it anywhere. Please help!
    -Grizz

10. Tonyaneedshelp

Tonyaneedshelp New Member

I am desperately trying to find one of these. Please tell me where I can get one.

11. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  12. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

UD SPOOL COMPLETE, Kee Spool.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  13. TKB4

TKB4 New Member

I also have this type valve installed by the inventor Kee and Sons Well and supply in Medina TN I have tried to call and left message but no answer . I cannot tell how to disconnect supply line to house from the spool pitless unless it will pull out without disconnecting which I think it should but that means the pvc exit from case would have to be part of the casing to seal

If anyone knows I would appreciate the info.

Thanks

14. valveman

Pump Controls Technician
    Yeah when you pull up on the spool it disconnects the pipe to the house.

15. TKB4

TKB4 New Member

Thanks valve man I did however find a view of the female part of the valve that does show the exit pipe is part of the casing and already pulled it before saw your message. BTW I am installing a Cycle stop valve as part of my system makeover ordered it couple of months ago

Thanks

16. TKB4

TKB4 New Member

I do have one more question.

There is a light spring "check vale" that is just a rubber flap in the "kee spool valve" on the one I pulled it was not functioning. I just removed it since there is a check valve at bottom of pump. I have read various points on check valves at surface such as some states require a dedicated check valve and several states do not allow them. I don't view this the same as a separate check valve but either way I do not believe it is necessary so I reinstalled it that way but it wouldn't be much trouble for me to get a new valve and replace it depending on any advice I receive.

17. valveman

Pump Controls Technician
    I would leave out the flapper check. The one on the pump is the only check valve needed.