What is the maximum time for a regeneration?

Users who are viewing this thread

djn6022

Reaction score
Installed a large water softener as part of a remodel at a not for profit. It consumes a lot of water when regenerating (2 inch line feeding the thing I forget the actual specs). The building can go unused for months with little water usage. What is the longest period of time between regeneration cycles? It is demand based so if it "runs out" it will handle that side on its own.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Water softeners are not designed for non use and I do not think there is a set time. What is the model number of the softenner?
The longer it sits the more salt will dissolve in the brine tank. If it is not used for a few months and when the building is checked out occasionally, run a manual regen to keep the water fresh and run some water throughout the building to flush the pipes. Is this city water or a well?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Water sitting in the brine tank for extended lengths of time does not cause it to dissolve more water. Water holds a finite amount of salt, typically about 3 pounds per gallon. Obviously some variances are there based on water temperature etc...

As to the frequency, monthly is typically fine. I would highly recommend sanitizing the resin occasionally in low use applications.

djn6022

Reaction score
Water sitting in the brine tank for extended lengths of time does not cause it to dissolve more water. Water holds a finite amount of salt, typically about 3 pounds per gallon. Obviously some variances are there based on water temperature etc...

As to the frequency, monthly is typically fine. I would highly recommend sanitizing the resin occasionally in low use applications.

Thank you! I like monthly. I will look up sanitizing procedures.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks