What is the dumbest thing you have done at a Job Site? Confessions of a Contractor

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Lets here it men. I did a really dumb thing yesterday with my best client of all time. I was at his new condo making repairs and working on the job list and I did a hair brained thing.

I was trying to fix the POS Italian door handle (could they have more pieces?). I must have tried 4 fixes and when I thought I had it I closed the door....

Dumb

DUmb

DUMb

DUMB

homer-simpson-doh.jpg

I tried to open the door and the POS Italian door handle would not move !!! LOL Thus trapping me and my client in his master bedroom. My phone was in the kitchen. In it the caretakers phone number. Lucky for me my client had the number as well in his phone and his phone was in his pocket. Lucky.

This could have been much worse....

We where rescued in under four minutes....

Last edited:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
You couldnt just undo your hand work or do the italians have a " No break out" lock ! You were not breaking in which is usually the problem on jobsites

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I was going to pop the hinges but they where tamper proof. Who the @#%^ uses tamperproof hinges on an interior bedroom door.....

I also did not want to reef on the handle to remove it. Pretty sure the handsets are worth more than a days pay....

I confessed.... What is your dumbest moment?

DougB

Reaction score
Client had no 'test database'. Had about 200 employees. Wanted a software modification - no place to test. I was about 35 at the time. Installed the mod.... blew up. Wasted about 200 man hours ( 1 hr * 200 data entry) , until I got it right.

They were impressed... the other consultants took them down for an entire day. Eventually got a client for 20 yrs, and now they have a test server.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Does that count Doug. Seems like you had no way to try it first. I could have tried pressing the handle down before shutting the door. Dig deeper Doug. Maybe when you where in your teens.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
This on time in band camp. I guy I knew took a leek in the sink (long story, no power and toilets had been removed). He did not know that I had disconnected the sink from the waste line and p-trap because I was prepping to remove the counter. I walk around the corner and yelled at him....

"Your pissing on your boot" - "there is no P-Trap"....

Then to add insult to injury he had to clean it up........

The joys of working on the 27th floor during a two hour power shut down!! lol So Funny. I just remembered that now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks