What is the difference between a Toto C853 and a C853S? Can I use the same fill valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Spbphil

Reaction score
I see a Korky 528T Replacement TOTO Toilet Fill Valve - Fits G-Max and Power Gravity Toilets -Easy to Install -Made in USA
1. Is my non-S a "power gravity toilet"? A G-Max?
2. So should I buy that part OR get the generic Korky 818 that says it fits 99% of all toilets? Or do you recommend a different model fill valve?
3. And does my Toto model take a 2" or a 3" float?

Thanks for answers--I'm using the bathroom down the hall for now.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 528T and 818 are pretty much the same thing. And all they do is refill the tank and bowl.

The flapper for the Ultramax that you have is 3".

Numbers I see in the tanks are normally CST853, CST833S and CST853E
If you have an older Ultimate, it's a 1.6 with lower overflow tube.
The S was also 1.6 with a little higher water in the tank.
The E is 1.28

Spbphil

Reaction score
The 528T and 818 are pretty much the same thing. And all they do is refill the tank and bowl.

The flapper for the Ultramax that you have is 3".

Numbers I see in the tanks are normally CST853, CST833S and CST853E
If you have an older Ultimate, it's a 1.6 with lower overflow tube.
The S was also 1.6 with a little higher water in the tank.
The E is 1.28

Hi, Terry, you are THE Best! I appreciate your authoritative answers. Here is the C853 model number from inside the toilet. (See image.) So do I have an Ultimate or an Ultramax model?

What is the implication of having a "lower overflow tube"? Should I be trying to adjust something on the flow mechanism? The observed problem is that the water in the tank reaches just "to" the top of the fill pipe with enough surface tension that the water quietly continues to flow into the fill pipe very slowly, and the flush seems very low-flow--like a cup of water, not 1.6 liters.

Attachments

• 20200706_143149.jpg
    20200706_143149.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 268

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The water in the tank should be about 1/2" below the overflow. I sometimes see the water a little higher than that too, but it should never go up and over into the overflow unless you have a problem. It's the last resort on a failed fill valve.

Some flappers are adjustable as to how long they float before dropping down and sealing. A lot of water passes unseen before you even notice that the flush has started. The siphon jet at the bottom of the bowl starts the flush before you even notice the rinse from above.

Spbphil

Reaction score
The water in the tank should be about 1/2" below the overflow. I sometimes see the water a little higher than that too, but it should never go up and over into the overflow unless you have a problem. It's the last resort on a failed fill valve.

Some flappers are adjustable as to how long they float before dropping down and sealing. A lot of water passes unseen before you even notice that the flush has started. The siphon jet at the bottom of the bowl starts the flush before you even notice the rinse from above.

Terry, does that mean I should adjust the new fill valve differently because my model has a "lower overflow tube"?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks